Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 37

Chapter 54 : page 37

Postby Kern » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 am

The colonists aboard watches as their homes are torn appart.
Kel would know its a bad idea but its not like the people under the deck can hear him, until his command is relayed down. By then the ssu colonists have a nice bonfire to watch, one without the consolation of seeing the enemies getting any true damage.
After all the crew onboard isn't experienced at firing and they are far away. The blasts land all over the place.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 37

Postby Azarin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:03 am

Chiri is going to burn down the ship in 3...2...1...
Azarin
Nether Seed

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby evilmike » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:44 am

Yeah, Kel is gonna be pissed.
evilmike
Summoner

Postby Cladriah » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 am

This is going into the 101 ways to not win over friends and enemies.
Cladriah
Nether Seed

Postby riflow » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:28 am

Well the dialogue at least makes it seem like they didn't hit a bunch of people, that's good at least. Still, trust Ash to ruin everything. :/ it's obviously a bad idea to just fire without at least 2 seconds of thought for your allies homes and any potential people left on the ground.
riflow
Summoner

Postby 'Lement » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:51 am

Well, that's lot less accuracy than Snadhya'rune's demonstration. Unexpected. I thought they captured the old crew, but I should have known to be wrong. Even then, not trying out the toy at all during the two+ weeks implies pretty limited ammo. Yet, (maybe) Kel predicted they would miss by half a mile. That's interesting, and...Hm, perhaps the engineers knew, but Ash'waren definitely expected to, y'know, hit someone. Somebody is out of the loop.

Didn't expect the mana blows catch things on fire, though. I guess it is only dry, flammable roofs though; the grass is fine. (Unless Sangress set those fires in attacking the colony beforehand, though that seems dramatically unlikely.)

@riflow: ...Given you said you didn't disagree about firing the cannons yesterday (and many others were puzzled with the problem, myself included), I think it is obvious just in hindsight.
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Well, they certainly WERE aiming at the legion on the cliffs.

Man, that's some serious cause of collateral damage.. One can only hope it makes Sang reconsider her "bait" idea.

Sang:"...They fired on the colony?!!! Then... Taking Hostages is a waste of time, as they'll simply shoot through them!"

Then again, maybe whatever's swayed her loyalty has rotted her brain too, and she'll double down on taking hostages...

Who knows anymore?
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Tainted Messiah » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:15 pm

'Lement wrote:Well, that's lot less accuracy than Snadhya'rune's demonstration. Unexpected. I thought they captured the old crew, but I should have known to be wrong. Even then, not trying out the toy at all during the two+ weeks implies pretty limited ammo.

This... a thousand times this.

Seriously did the crew put on blindfolds for firing? as opposed to.. I don't know firing at the large gathering of enemies that had been directly at their feet? or the balista's that undoubtedly could hardly be moved at a rapid pace? or how about the Sarg legion 'lagging behind' with the cannons?

I mean Sang's plan of gathering the local population while cowardly is certainly not a terrible idea against the airship but I call complete BS on anyone Kern included who would say that they have had any time to relay that order to the troops let alone centralize the civilian's them so bombing the larger legion groups should still be a relatively safe idea.

But nope... instead they just randomly firing into a populated area... makes total sense leveling everything but the people actually hunting them. I swear its like Kern read all the potential outrage about Ariel and company just retreating after an already sort of stupid situation and went 'oh yeah? Kite hold my beer'. *doh* *upset* *wee*
Tainted Messiah
Demon

Postby Ardan Styyx » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Not posting sentries to prevent any surprise... :(

Not having practiced any live firing drill since they've seized the ship... o_O

Wow, if they hadn't managed to invest the previous Nid's colony thanks to a very good plan, this whole party would look a lot like a bunch of stupid Ewoks inside a hijacked AT-ST *upset*

Seriously, not being able to achieve a single hit with mana canons?
No aiming proficiency? I say : BS ! http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=11877
And that was with a shell, not with a laser-beam-like-mother-killing-accurate weapon! :[
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Rodryg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:04 pm

I cant be the only one that have negative feelings about this chapter...
First team Ariel fail to secure the area and miss whole LEGION sneaking up to them, how can you not notice a whole army and when you have advantage of being in air ?
Then we have still unexplained logistical miracle as Legion and Sang somehow managed to track and chase an airship withouth a problem dragging along huge forces and siege equipment ?! Sorry but still call BS on this one Varys was calling he want his "Instatant Plot Travel" back 8P
Now we have this "comical" show of bad aiming but hey a few pages back they actually managed to shot a perfect warning shot winouth hitting anything. Imagine if they were this incompetent then ? Whops we just obliterated half of the colony with our "warning shot" it happens *lol*
Rodryg
Nether Seed

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Hmmm....looking at Chiri's face...good thing this isn't a hydrogen airship.....

I also have to disagree with the complaints I am seeing here.

They have had the airship for like, around a month at most - even if they drilled a lot, that is not a lot of time to get familiar with the system.

Plus, as Kern said, this is happening at a longer range than we have seen the airship engage before.

Another factor to consider is that it can be seen here that the legion, not being idiots, have scattered to avoid presenting too big a target and are sticking close to cover.

I would also argue that this isn't that much worse than the accuracy of the Nid crew - after all, the Nids were never trying to avoid hitting anything, so they could just blast away, and they certainly had trouble hitting people when fighting the protagonists.

I thought they captured the old crew, but I should have known to be wrong.

Some of the engineers were captured or defected, but we don't know how many, or if any of them were gunners as opposed to simply keeping the ship's other systems working.

Not posting sentries to prevent any surprise...

They got hit almost immediately after landing, there was little time for them to post any sentries that far out.

Not having practiced any live firing drill since they've seized the ship...

So if they don't have perfect accuracy they must never practiced at all?

That is Smokehammer level hyperbole.

And that was with a shell, not with a laser-beam-like-mother-killing-accurate weapon!

That was aimed at a giant target at point blank range.

And they still missed the biggest parts of it!

Plus, they do have more experience using ground cannons than they do firing from the air.

First team Ariel fail to secure the area and miss whole LEGION sneaking up to them, how can you not notice a whole army and when you have advantage of being in air ?

They were in a forest.

And in World War 2, the Germans hid a much larger force from allied air scouting in such a way
but hey a few pages back they actually managed to shot a perfect warning shot winouth hitting anything.

....because firing with the sole goal of not hitting something is totally the same as trying to hit an enemy crowded in cover without hitting the cover.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Ardan Styyx » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Ok, so let's start the "Enoying-know-it-all Battle" 8P

Junglefowl26 wrote: Plus, as Kern said, this is happening at a longer range than we have seen the airship engage before.

No longer than the ballista.
"Hand me the combat rules book so I can compare the range of a ballista with a mana canon..." ^^

Junglefowl26 wrote: Another factor to consider is that it can be seen here that the legion, not being idiots, have scattered to avoid presenting too big a target and are sticking close to cover.

Their main force is gathered on a hill overlooking the town. The airship just had to aim a little over the buildings... B)

Junglefowl26 wrote:So if they don't have perfect accuracy they must never practiced at all?

That is Smokehammer level hyperbole.

The latter will appreciate! XD
Mate, I'll not bring my navy experience as a valid argument there, but still normally, sucking that much at hiting a HILL is obvioulsy the sign of a lack of training.
'Doesn't matter though, Kern wanted the airship to fuck up all this, then so be it.

Junglefowl26 wrote:
And that was with a shell, not with a laser-beam-like-mother-killing-accurate weapon!

That was aimed at a giant target at point blank range.

And they still missed the biggest parts of it!

Plus, they do have more experience using ground cannons than they do firing from the air.

I don't think the ship is moving so fast they can't actually do better on virtually non moving targets with an open view, while the gun was firing on a moving one in a rather short window.

Anyway, that's steril discussion, and I have to admit I put myself in the position of the horrible player who always check the rule book to discuss the Dungeon Master decisions. :w

Sorry Kern, the Dungeon Master is always right. Hail the Dungeon Master! *wee*
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Mizu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:36 pm

riflow wrote:Well the dialogue at least makes it seem like they didn't hit a bunch of people, that's good at least. Still, trust Ash to ruin everything. :/ it's obviously a bad idea to just fire without at least 2 seconds of thought for your allies homes and any potential people left on the ground.

I see no reason to assume that Ashie didn't know damned well there was a good chance of collateral damage but did it anyway. Its the rare member of Chelian nobility that is going to care about blasting some little insignificant hamlet when the alternative is risking their own skin by giving their enemies a chance to take aim and fire unharried
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Sarah » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 pm

Everyone's talking about the airship attack and my only thought was about how poor Kel'noz had to shout like that whilst on the verge of death. XD
Sarah
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Mizu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Sarah wrote:Everyone's talking about the airship attack and my only thought was about how poor Kel'noz had to shout like that whilst on the verge of death. XD

Also something to remember, this happened on Chiri and Shan's vow ceremony day and that is Chiri watching her home get wrecked in her vow dress. I am pretty sure that something is definitely going to get set on fire in the next couple of pages.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Next

Return to Moonless Age