Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 13

Chapter 54 : page 13

Postby Kern » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:57 am

They ready themselves to depart to another colony now that they've secured their claim.
That said, its one thing to overthrow the council and another to have this as a power base. Anything happening after the ship depart and everything will crumbles. Thats why Kel tell them to retreat. Remember when the sarghress had one house in this entire colony? its basicly the same thing again, they've merely a dozen warriors here again and sure some local ally in the colony is going to fill that power vacuum but that legion hunting them down could just dispatch 3 squads of their own to ruin it all. If, they don't just follow the ship, giving time for the local to finish transitioning the local governement.
Taldrin and Vaelia are left behind. Tiny taldrin for governor!
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 13

Postby Black Knight LeFreux » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:22 am

A small garrison. Even more reason to root out any resistance before they loose the advantage of numbers.

No wonder Kel was ready to use some dirty tactics in Ariel's back.

EDIT : wait, what is Slainne doing in the background ? Is she trying to take the wheel or catch Thora ? *eek* 8P
With her arms up in the air like that, it's like she saying : "Mmmh, dat ass ! I'm going to take a bite, if you don't mind !"
Black Knight LeFreux
Vel'akar

Postby Ardan Styyx » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Wow, that's really a gamble. Such a small party to keep an aguably pacified city, against an upcoming legion... :B
I fear for Vaelia and her sons.
Let's hope nothing dreadful will happen before the airship returns, preferably packed with Kyorl allies.
wait, what is Slainne doing in the background ? Is she trying to take the wheel or catch Thora ? *eek* 8P
With her arms up in the air like that, it's like she saying : "Mmmh, dat ass ! I'm going to take a bite, if you don't mind !"

Or maybe she is playing with Pelan and Octarya, being the "Ogre who's gonna eat them!", while they seek refuge in the arms of a moderately approving Thera?
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Black Knight LeFreux » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Ardan Styyx wrote:Or maybe she is playing with Pelan and Octarya, being the "Ogre who's gonna eat them!", while they seek refuge in the arms of a moderately approving Thera?

Oh, I didn't see them at first.

Now I'm ashamed my mind took such a dirty turn when she was simply playing with children. ^^;
Black Knight LeFreux
Vel'akar

Postby Moric » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:47 pm

Ardan Styyx wrote:Wow, that's really a gamble. Such a small party to keep an aguably pacified city, against an upcoming legion... :B
I fear for Vaelia and her sons.
Let's hope nothing dreadful will happen before the airship returns, preferably packed with Kyorl allies.

We don't know the internal dynamics of Ys prior to the takeover. For all we know, it had become a klepto-plutocracy ruled by the Council's Felde-backed iron fist. Once the Sargs were expelled, there was not even a token alternative to Nid rule, and abuse.

That said, they have no intention of fending off a sizeable force. Just disappear and open the gates. They can always take it back once the Legion moves on. If the Legion stays at any one colony, that allows the Wolfpack to entrench elsewhere. If the Legion splits up, the smaller units become vulnerable.

I don't think Vaelia's kids are there, just her.

Winning over the Kyorl Clan, even secretly, would be a huge win.
Moric
Summoner

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Sure, it's a gamble, and Ariel knows it. But not like they have many options, and remember the long game. She's playing her cards right, that's for sure.

Crummy hand, but good player.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby El Bandito » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:29 pm

Sometimes you gotta do what is against common sense in order to win big. Even Napoleon had divided his force against numerically superior opponents, and defeated them.
El Bandito
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Well, there is a lot to address here, but the most important thing for me is - what is this Highland place and who lives there why did they repaint the ship to look like a whale? *eek*

I mean, it feels like a reference to something the comic has already mentioned, but I am drawing a blank. I mean, I guess the Highland Raiders come to mind, but painting the ship like this doesn't sound like them...*

I also wonder just how many colonies there are. I thought Ys was the first they visited, yet Kau sounds like they have done this a lot.

Hmmm....two weeks to repair the airship, a few days painting it, however long it took to set this up, visiting an unknown number of colonies before this....and it only takes three days to go from Machtike to the center of the underworld on foot.
Man, the legion is slow.

Let's see - just leaving a few behind eh? Forget the legion, just keeping the surrendered soldiers in check with so few sounds difficult. Better hope the council was really unpopular and most of the militia can be convinced to switch sides...

Well, they have the slaves at least, but those will take time to train, to say nothing of equipping them.

Fall back to Machtike eh...what happens if Machtike gets attacked though? That is from the art of war - to force the enemy to come to you, attack something they hold dear.

Oh, and if anything happens to Vaelia, I am burning this website down. *grabs torch and pitchfork*

* I know there are a lot of characters to deal with already but man Quill's absence for these last couple of chapters has been glaring...particularly since she gets mentioned as coming soon but never does.

Moric wrote:I don't think Vaelia's kids are there, just her.

You can see her sun standing behind her and Taldrin, but in front of the nameless, faceless grunts who I am sure will quite fine.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Tsukiko » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm

OMG OMG OMG
Such a huge promotion for such a smoll tiny male! :) :) :)
squeaks and giggles happily
Tsukiko
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Moric » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:23 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:Well, there is a lot to address here, but the most important thing for me is - what is this Highland place and who lives there why did they repaint the ship to look like a whale? *eek*

I suspect it had something to do with the children and a collective "daw". Quill is probably one of the most child-friendly elders in the story, and when she daws, everyone daws..

Junglefowl26 wrote:I mean, it feels like a reference to something the comic has already mentioned, but I am drawing a blank. I mean, I guess the Highland Raiders come to mind, but painting the ship like this doesn't sound like them...*
* I know there are a lot of characters to deal with already but man Quill's absence for these last couple of chapters has been glaring...particularly since she gets mentioned as coming soon but never does.

I miss Quill too.

Junglefowl26 wrote:I also wonder just how many colonies there are. I thought Ys was the first they visited, yet Kau sounds like they have done this a lot.

Well, the Nals and Illhars have lots of skin in the colony game, so I bet they have been pushing hard. The Sharen, Belds, etc. probably have been pushing too, from next to nothing, as they still need to feed what people they still have left. Sarghress probably have a couple too (not counting Machike), if only to feed their horde. I expect that the Kyorls and such are more modest in their enterprise, and probably little more than an outpost for the Jaals (In a "publish or die" clan, who is going to leave their facilities to go and farm?).

Junglefowl26 wrote:Hmmm....two weeks to repair the airship, a few days painting it, however long it took to set this up, visiting an unknown number of colonies before this....and it only takes three days to go from Machtike to the center of the underworld on foot.
Man, the legion is slow.

To be fair, a full scale overland campaign is fairly new to any Chelian drow. When your most hated enemy is less than ten kilometers away at all times, you can march out the gates after breakfast, fight a battle, and come home for dinner in the same day. Of course, the last two wars were more building by building urban warfare from entrenched positions, but the scale of distance hasn't changed. Machike'Shikumo is three days march away, each way. Soldiers eat, equipment gets damaged or used, and supply chains must be considered. Toss in over a dozen spread out colonies to pacify, some further than a week away, and the logistics of fielding an army becomes much more complicated.

Then consider that Chel'el'Sussoloth isn't the easiest place to keep the peace in. How much troop strength did the Sarghress lose when House Mae'yukir left for the Dutan'vir? What about the fact that there's been nothing to do for three years, and not much of a goal? It's one thing to hold a clan of mercenaries and assorted commoners together when there's a common purpose, but with that gone, and most of the city to patrol, how's recruiting vs. attrition/desertion? How large of an assault legion can the clan afford without getting stretched thin at home?

Lastly, who do you send, or rather, who do you trust to send?

Junglefowl26 wrote:Let's see - just leaving a few behind eh? Forget the legion, just keeping the surrendered soldiers in check with so few sounds difficult. Better hope the council was really unpopular and most of the militia can be convinced to switch sides...

Well, they have the slaves at least, but those will take time to train, to say nothing of equipping them.

"Attention all soldiers. It appears that the previous government has been underpaying you for years, and has been pocketing the difference for themselves. As such, you will each be receiving a ten ada per moon raise, effective immediately. If there are any other issues of government corruption that you are aware of, please let us know."
Yes, it's a bribe, but framed in such a way as to make it seem like justice. The fun part of this is that if and when the Legion retakes the colony, the colonials will still be expecting the higher wage.

Junglefowl26 wrote:Fall back to Machtike eh...what happens if Machtike gets attacked though? That is from the art of war - to force the enemy to come to you, attack something they hold dear.

Common sense really. That said, perhaps it already has been taken. Just because your flag is flying over somewhere doesn't mean that underground networks haven't been established.

Junglefowl26 wrote:Oh, and if anything happens to Vaelia, I am burning this website down. *grabs torch and pitchfork*

She dies...

...of old age, surrounded by numerous grandchildren in the Epilogue.

Junglefowl26 wrote:
Moric wrote:I don't think Vaelia's kids are there, just her.

You can see her sun standing behind her and Taldrin, but in front of the nameless, faceless grunts who I am sure will quite fine.

Oops. That's what I get for writing based off of looking on my phone. ^^;

Tsukiko wrote:OMG OMG OMG
Such a huge promotion for such a smoll tiny male! :) :) :)
squeaks and giggles happily

Congrats! Now don't get killed.
Moric
Summoner

Postby Ardan Styyx » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:17 am

Moric wrote:
Junglefowl26 wrote:Oh, and if anything happens to Vaelia, I am burning this website down. *grabs torch and pitchfork*

She dies...

Or she dies weapons in her hands, defending her son, her friends and her ideals.

Everybody gathers around the viking's like pyre, crying and honoring the fallen warrior, the beloved friend, the mother.
As a sun beam pierces the dark overcast sky of a tragic dusk, lighting the peaceful face of Vaelia, the "Death of Brünnhilde" followed by the "Fall of the Valhalla"* echoes like a cellestial farewell to the forever regretted lady, martyr of the Wolf Pack.
*crying*

Yeah... well, I think it would deserve a good burning, still.

* Wagner - Die Gotterdammerung
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Silverrain » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:35 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:Well, there is a lot to address here, but the most important thing for me is - what is this Highland place and who lives there why did they repaint the ship to look like a whale? *eek*

I mean, it feels like a reference to something the comic has already mentioned, but I am drawing a blank. I mean, I guess the Highland Raiders come to mind, but painting the ship like this doesn't sound like them...*

Maybe my memory is failing me too, but I thought she was referring to the Amsaag, Turgeis and Dietra's (and Slainne's) clan(?).
Silverrain
Summoner

Postby Moric » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:09 am

Ardan Styyx wrote:
Moric wrote:

She dies...

Or she dies weapons in her hands, defending her son, her friends and her ideals.

Everybody gathers around the viking's like pyre, crying and honoring the fallen warrior, the beloved friend, the mother.
As a sun beam pierces the dark overcast sky of a tragic dusk, lighting the peaceful face of Vaelia, the "Death of Brünnhilde" followed by the "Fall of the Valhalla"* echoes like a cellestial farewell to the forever regretted lady, martyr of the Wolf Pack.
*crying*

Yeah... well, I think it would deserve a good burning, still.

* Wagner - Die Gotterdammerung

Hmmm... burning wouldn't be strictly necessary if it's a heroic sacrifice to open up Snadhya's critical weakness during the final boss fight.
Moric
Summoner

Postby sunhawk » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:45 am

Death flags for the colony garrison
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Smokehammer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:43 am

Silverrain wrote:

Maybe my memory is failing me too, but I thought she was referring to the Amsaag, Turgeis and Dietra's (and Slainne's) clan(?).
Yeah, dont quote me on it but I think Slainne is Dietra's mom and the great and terrible mist whale hunter of infamy amongst the Amsaag.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Next

Return to Moonless Age