Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 12

Re: Chapter 54 : page 12

Postby Ardan Styyx » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 am

Thats a bit of a silly question, lots of people do things that they were sort of iffy on doing but pushed ahead because 'it needed to be done' and felt bad about it later.

Well, that was more a facepalm exclamation.
But please, mate, make sure you notify me next time you kill somebody whereas there was plenty of other options and anyway nobody asked you to, and then that you feel sorry about it. That would interest me indeed... 8P

Ariel went through that too, but she came out the other side better for it because she's Ariel. She always believed more in her fantasies than reality so it isnt as hard for her.

"Fantasy" might be a bit hard. "Ideals" sounds more fair. Plus she had plenty occasions to face the hard reality, and payed dearly for that. One could say the same on Faen or any other major character, like Kiel (more than everybody, Kiel!) or Chiri.
The difference is more a question of personality than delusioning oneself or not.
Kyo behaves like the child she never really stopped to be, which could explain her erratic, excessive and self loathing attitude.
Ariel might still be idealistic, but she seems definitely more mature.
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Mizu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:21 am

Ariel can be pretty stubborn at times when reality doesn't match up to fiction. Most blatant one was, after being told by Quain herself most of the books on her are BS propaganda that didn't happen, she kept believing Quain had owned an airship and got laughed at during the 'family dinner' with questions like 'well then where did the airship go?'.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:12 am

HidingGoblin wrote:Of all the traditions Quain’tana decided not to break, it just had to be the one insisting that her heir be a woman. I understand that it would’ve had political implications and that the other clans would’ve opposed it, but still. I can’t stop thinking that with someone as competent and experienced as Kel’noz in charge, the Sarghress could’ve become something more. Something more than it was under Quain’tana’s selfdestructive stubborness or Ariel’s naivety.

If nothing else, Kel has at least one daughter you would think they could take into consideration.

Though that said, some people work better as advisors than leaders in and of themselves, and I get that vibe from Kel myself....

PitDragon wrote:Probably follow. I suspect if Sang is spear-heading this that she knows a tactic that is meant to stretch her thin and wear her out - a tactic that is being devised by the heirs to her former leader at that. Word could be sent to the Alliance that this happened, and any group left in Ys to "hold" it would become complacent thinking the trouble has passed and they have time to situate... only to find a group of Alliance soldiers, lead by someone with authority from the Chelian alliance, on their doorstep "requesting" they stand down and this whole thing be sorted out. Meanwhile, the Legion does what it set out to do - follow and neutralize these "rebels."

The Legion isn't the army in totality, just a portion of the Sargs I wager. Pretty easy to relay by portable whispering tower to another group meant for dealing with settlements/sieges while the on meant for hunting continues doing what it does best.

That makes sense....

On the other hand, from a story telling perspective having the legion retake the colony would be a great way to introduce the legion characters and what they are capable of before the main conflict of the chapter.

Mizu wrote:Thats a bit of a silly question, lots of people do things that they were sort of iffy on doing but pushed ahead because 'it needed to be done' and felt bad about it later.

Indeed.

Particularly killing. Even a completely justified killing in self-defense takes a psychological toll on people, particularly the first time (well, she did kill someone in the heat of battle before, but this was more cold blooded, and up close and personal, so I can understand taking a larger toll.)

Whizzard wrote:
Smokehammer wrote:Because confirming that the universe is a shithole to someone who's good heart has been shattered by said shithole is always the best path to redeeming them. Way to go Kel'noz. You the man! -The one who f***s things up horribly for everyone around him for ambiguous reasons. B)

There's always a question of whether is universe a shithole or do you only see it that way because you are neck deep in shit? :P

Well, it is a chicken and the egg thing. No wait, - it is a real vicious cycle.

Someone starts out all idealistic, then they get burned for it and decide to do bad things for a good cause, and somewhere along the way the good cause is forgotten or made hollow, and they burn some new idealists in the process and start the whole thing over again...

Quain, Diva, Ash, even Snad...all started with high flying ideas and dreams of a better world, and look where they ended up, just part of the problem, part of the same system that keeps them poor and miserable...

And looking at this bunch shows part of the drow's problems - they just live too long. Long enough to grow bitter beyond reason and to drag their old hatreds generations into the future....

Might be why Kel is supporting Ariel in the end: he is also too old and burdened with hatred to provide a new vision for the future. Only one who does not accept all the evils of the world "as the way things are" has any hope of changing how things are, as remote a hope as that might be.

Mizu wrote:Ariel can be pretty stubborn at times when reality doesn't match up to fiction. Most blatant one was, after being told by Quain herself most of the books on her are BS propaganda that didn't happen, she kept believing Quain had owned an airship and got laughed at during the 'family dinner' with questions like 'well then where did the airship go?'.

Eh, that is not how I interpreted her words -
http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=10130

I think she was just saying that she always liked the idea of an airship since she read the book, and so seeing a real one grabbed her interest.

Even before the timeskip she had disowned Quain's saga as dumb kids book, I don't think she would take them literally.

Now that said, she can be rather stubborn to acknowledge things in other circumstances - hell, she seemed so determined to ignore the factionalism of her clan in Chapter 50 that I am honestly surprised she is treating the Legion as her enemy instead of trying to talk them or even assuming they will stay loyal to her.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby El Bandito » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:02 am

Kyo must be feeling a lot of emotions right now.
El Bandito
Summoner

Postby Moric » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Some thoughts:
- Kyo'nne is probably dealing with some pretty intense guilt and self-loathing, and not a small amount of dread for whatever is to come.

- Is that blue glow in panel 3 symbolic of Kyo'nne's emotional state or a subtle empathic effect?

- This page shows that not only is Kel'noz a diplomat, a teacher, a master strategist, a heartthrob, and a foci guru, but he's also a dramatist. The backlighting in panel 4 was awesome.

- Kel'noz neither confirms nor denies either statement about Ariel. Nor does he challenge or confirm her life lesson. I think that the ambiguity not only keeps avenues of speculation open, prevents the conversation from getting sidetracked, but also is about the best way to handle Kyo'nne's crushed spirit. On one hand, to confirm her would keep her in her broken state, and to deny would thrust the full burden of guilt on her.

- Ariel is Kel'noz's sister by honor, just as Koil and Syphile would also have been at their times as adopted daughters. Sister by honor supercedes the actual relationship.

- Yeah, Kyo'nne feels very dirty for all that she's done. I don't think that she even considered the possibility of mercy being shown to her.

- Translating Kel'noz in the last two panels: Ariel has given you the very rare opportunity of a second chance at life. If you cannot accept it, then you report to me. Oh, and I can kill when necessary, and I know plenty about life's cruelty; don't make me show you.

- Also noting that not once did he condemn her actions or judgement. Methinks a deadly surprise awaited the Council when their inevitable escape attempt was expected to be made.

- Yeah, looks like the Wolfpack is in need of a whole lot of feathered hats and green tights.
Moric
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 pm

Moric wrote:- Yeah, looks like the Wolfpack is in need of a whole lot of feathered hats and green tights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G59JnM4JKNQ
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Moric » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:34 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:
Moric wrote:- Yeah, looks like the Wolfpack is in need of a whole lot of feathered hats and green tights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G59JnM4JKNQ

My thoughts exactly. As puni- err... a reward for finding the very thing running through my head, here is a scene similar to what happened in Felde at the conclusion of Chapter 52
Moric
Summoner

Previous

Return to Moonless Age