Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 12

Chapter 54 : page 12

Postby Kern » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 am

She receive an unexpected visitor after the assassination led her to be locked up from the others. He offer her a second chance, as long as he is kept informed on her actions.
Couples things there are implied ; Kyo is very stressed from what she had to do. That she is uncertain about what she's going to do and for who she is going to have to do it. That Kel want to make use of her. As long as he know what its going to be he doesn't mind that Ariel doesn't have to know. Implying such things happened before and will happen again.That Ariel own optimist attitude, or naive if you want to see it from the other angle, is the same reason why she is spared being dumped, killed, exile or fed to Slainne.
its quite likely Kel sees some good in ariel's attitude and plan to use it if he can. well, if he hadn't , he wouldn't be there supporting this whole Quain'tana's last wishes isn't he. Quain is long dead and he had seen the real person beyond all the legends from before they even started, so this isn't purely out of loyalty for a dead person.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 12

Postby Smokehammer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:50 am

Because confirming that the universe is a shithole to someone who's good heart has been shattered by said shithole is always the best path to redeeming them. Way to go Kel'noz. You the man! -The one who f***s things up horribly for everyone around him for ambiguous reasons. B)
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Dybad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 am

Really ? From what I can tell, he's simply being pragmatic here, as he as always been. Remember Kel'noz spent half a millemium working his butt off to make his clan/family a success, so he's not about to let a two-faced unruly newborn like Kyone ruin everything at the last moment.

Seem the reasonable attitude in this context.
Dybad
Tainted

Postby Moric » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:16 am

"...behind our backs without my knowledge...." (italics mine)

Smooth Kel, smooth.
Moric
Summoner

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:19 pm

SO Kyo was shaken up by it. And yeah, wonder if the Legion will wear themselves down going after Ys, or if they' follow the airship away to the Ssu colony.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Ardan Styyx » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Well, if she is shaken by what she done, WHY ON EARTH DID SHE DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE ???
It's not like anybody needed another pointless murder.
Anyway...

Like everything Kel has kept secret from Ariel, the truth will eventually appear. And, as always, at the worst time.

Curious, he is actually aware of it : http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7840

For as much as I like him, isn't repeating the same process and expecting different result the begining of madness?
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Tiam » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Moric wrote:"...behind our backs without my knowledge...." (italics mine)

Smooth Kel, smooth.

Yep, smooth as silk XD
Tiam
Demon

Location: Talos 1, hiding from phantoms and getting paranoid around coffee mugs and office chairs.
Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Whizzard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Smokehammer wrote:Because confirming that the universe is a shithole to someone who's good heart has been shattered by said shithole is always the best path to redeeming them. Way to go Kel'noz. You the man! -The one who f***s things up horribly for everyone around him for ambiguous reasons. B)

There's always a question of whether is universe a shithole or do you only see it that way because you are neck deep in shit? :P
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Junglefowl26 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:09 pm

Huh, Kel'nozand Kyo eh - of all the characters I would expect to have a scene together, I would not expect them.

Looking at Kyo's reactions before Kel comes in, reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zKCIf-vfbc
"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have. "

"She has always been too hopeful" Says miss hope and peace...I mean, ok Kyo in her current mindset would probably agree that her old self was too hopeful...eh...still...
"Experience taught me that life doesn't care about your hopes.." Oh, I think Ariel learned that one more than a few times, like when Quain was nothing like she thought, or when her hope of Ortho as a fun place was shattered by stabbing...come to think of it, Ariel went pretty cynical there for a bit.
Kyo has had a good life until relatively recently, so I guess I can understand that she is still going through the shock of it all. Hopefully she can pull out of this negative spiral.

Also really weird to have Kel refer to Ariel as his sister here. You know that is your niece Kel.
And speaking of that, Kel has always been one to do shitty and manipulative things for the greater good, so you think if anyone understood Kyo it would be him....

"You should leave me here, I can't be trusted." *eek* What the hell kind of line is that? The self-loathing is strong with this one.
You know, is that was this is about? Is Kyo trying to prove that she is a shitty person to confirm all her guilty feels and depressed thoughts?

In any case, some needs to invent therapy for the drow, stat.
Hmmm....maybe have her talk with Vaelia? Vaelia is pretty good at this.

And they are leave....I am still not sure what they hoped to accomplish. In particular, why bother going after the person Kane named if they were just going to pull out that quickly anyway? This isn't a rts where you can just put all your units in one army and go around capturing control points.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby PSadlon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:57 pm

Tiam wrote:
Moric wrote:"...behind our backs without my knowledge...." (italics mine)

Smooth Kel, smooth.

Yep, smooth as silk XD

Smooth as BAM (Boron-Aluminum-Magnesium with Titanium Boride and the new nonstick coating on all that "copper" & "titanium" cookware) which has a friction coefficient of less half that of Teflon or silk.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby HidingGoblin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:31 pm

Of all the traditions Quain’tana decided not to break, it just had to be the one insisting that her heir be a woman. I understand that it would’ve had political implications and that the other clans would’ve opposed it, but still. I can’t stop thinking that with someone as competent and experienced as Kel’noz in charge, the Sarghress could’ve become something more. Something more than it was under Quain’tana’s selfdestructive stubborness or Ariel’s naivety.
HidingGoblin
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby PSadlon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:40 pm

I strongly suspect this is part of why Kel is trying to guide and assist Ariel. A good leader has the compassionate idealism & mercy to try to make things better for all if possible, the strength to defend their people & ideals, and the wisdom of when to rely on each. Ariel hasn't yet gained the wisdom and thus over-relies on her natural compassionate idealism & mercy.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby Pitdragon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:32 pm

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:SO Kyo was shaken up by it. And yeah, wonder if the Legion will wear themselves down going after Ys, or if they' follow the airship away to the Ssu colony.

Probably follow. I suspect if Sang is spear-heading this that she knows a tactic that is meant to stretch her thin and wear her out - a tactic that is being devised by the heirs to her former leader at that. Word could be sent to the Alliance that this happened, and any group left in Ys to "hold" it would become complacent thinking the trouble has passed and they have time to situate... only to find a group of Alliance soldiers, lead by someone with authority from the Chelian alliance, on their doorstep "requesting" they stand down and this whole thing be sorted out. Meanwhile, the Legion does what it set out to do - follow and neutralize these "rebels."

The Legion isn't the army in totality, just a portion of the Sargs I wager. Pretty easy to relay by portable whispering tower to another group meant for dealing with settlements/sieges while the on meant for hunting continues doing what it does best.

Ardan Styyx wrote:Well, if she is shaken by what she done, WHY ON EARTH DID SHE DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE ???

What we deem necessary may not be deemed so by others. It wasn't a pointless murder if it kept those most likely to rally resistance and get word to Snadhya to sit tight. It is clear she took out the one that holds the most sway over the group, leaving the others to likely be unsure what to do next. There is not 100% clear chain of command with Nids, and while the council does look to Felde as allies they may not all be "in-the-know" Nids either. So taking out the ringleader leaves the others to question what path to take next, who to listen to, and possibly removes their ability to easily contact certain Feldian elements quickly. Kane may have been the most competent one to act as both leader AND Nid, so removing her was a wise choice. Death is the only assurance someone doesn't influence things - whispers to servants that may not see this liberation as a good thing (What if they're taken back and the servant is punished for helping? What if a servant enjoys the relative comfort and safety their role there brings?) is all it takes to make things fall apart.

Kyo'nne probably didn't want to kill anyone really, pregnant or no, but Kane wouldn't see sparing her and her unborn as a kindness that needs repaying - she'd use it to her advantage, she's a Nid. Kyo'nne knows this. So she acted. Whether or not just a threat would've kept Kane quiet is an unknown... but honestly, it might not have helped, only allowed Kane time to make more solid plans and quietly move things under their noses. That's how Drow have operated - if you have the ability to do those things and your enemy has "stupidly" left you alive, you do it, else you're just sitting around waiting to be used, sold, or destroyed at their whim. Whatever better future Ariel could want to usher in is not here right now, so everyone will operate on that basic knowledge.

And it seems Kel is already understanding of that and on top of things. Which is good. Kyo'nne deep down still has her dreams and her friends' interests at heart (in her own particular way) so she is usable, and he knows it. Don't shut down that utility of her being a former Nid insider and keep that element open, turn it on the enemy. Her life or even future means nothing to what he wants to see through Ariel, so if this all comes back to bite her then eh. Heck, he can even ensure it does at the right time to remove her after she is no longer usable if he wants to be that cut throat. Probably not, as he's likely a bit of a kindred spirit - he and Mel may have both shared dreams and softer hearts, but he learned to hide it quicker because his station in life would always be secondary to a female's and he had to therefore be tougher to get anywhere. So he really knows where Kyo is coming from. But he'll still keep her under tabs in case she turns again (hope for the best, plan for the worst and all that).
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Mizu » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:44 pm

Ardan Styyx wrote:Well, if she is shaken by what she done, WHY ON EARTH DID SHE DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE ???
Anyway...

Like everything Kel has kept secret from Ariel, the truth will eventually appear. And, as always, at the worst time.

Curious, he is actually aware of it : http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7840

For as much as I like him, isn't repeating the same process and expecting different result the begining of madness?

Thats a bit of a silly question, lots of people do things that they were sort of iffy on doing but pushed ahead because 'it needed to be done' and felt bad about it later.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Smokehammer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:15 pm

Whizzard wrote:There's always a question of whether is universe a shithole or do you only see it that way because you are neck deep in shit? :P
In this context both are true. There's no "good" in their world but themselves. Kyo has lost some of that because her hopes that things were different were crushed by somebody she looked up to and believed in. Ariel went through that too, but she came out the other side better for it because she's Ariel. She always believed more in her fantasies than reality so it isnt as hard for her.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Next

Return to Moonless Age