Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 :page 10

Re: Chapter 54 :page 10

Postby Dalvyserran » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:31 pm

It's time for Ariel to clean house, if she wants to have a stable team. The troops aren't going to support having someone as untrustworthy as Kyo'nne around.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby evilmike » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:53 pm

So Kyo is Jane Bond now.

Excellent.

*boogie*
evilmike
Summoner

Postby Ardan Styyx » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Now that's something new. My first reaction was even WTF!

Beyond the horrible idea of stabbing to death a pregnant woman in cold blood (even if a she's a Nid), this total backflip from a peace-loving, compromises-making, silly-songs-singing Kyo to a violent, heartless spy is to my mind at the limit of the script consistency. o_O

Now, maybe this dagger was perfectly well aimed to simulate a deadly wound ('cause, hey, it goes with my new Ninja skills...), but anyway : I hope we'd get a better explanation about this equivalent of a kick in the balls to the scenario, than just : "by the way, lots of things happened during the last chapters when she wasn't there, and she changed; now get over it". :[

I mean yes, she was already passing by informations and was certainly more clever than the nice silly pop singer she seemed to be, but we are getting from there :
http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=8536
http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=8540
http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=9745
http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=10093
http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=10117
and even there : http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=12020
To this.

From "This isn't peace..." to "The little wolf doesn't have what it takes to kill when needed"...

A bit like if Jar Jar Binx suddenly became a senator... Ow wait, that actually happened. Well, then revealed himself as a deadly dark jedi, without anymore explanations.

That would be a little frustrating. Not to say totally ridiculous. *upset*

---------------------------------------------------------------
Edit for the URLs
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Kail'odian » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:41 pm

Kyonne reminds me of the stuff that *I* get up to in Eve Online. *eek*

I just can't sing like her. 8P *lol*
Kail'odian
Vel'akar

Clan: Sharen

Postby Vestiline » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Well...that was...uh...unexpected.

I want to say that this is a complete heel turn from the pacifist pop-singer we've always had, but I have the feeling that being an agent for her clan, a Nid agent and the internal conflict of both probably has hardened her and is just now showing it. She's probably murdered in the past under the pretense of "this is for peace and a better tomorrow" but the airship battle probably broke all semblance of it being for peace.

That being said, her comment about ariel not killing when needed. I think she has it mistake. Ariel is merciful, but she wouldn't just flat out murder a pregnant woman even if it was to keep them in line.

That or I'm just blowing smoke.
Vestiline
Nether Seed

Postby Sarah » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:17 pm

Ardan Styyx wrote:From "This isn't peace..." to "The little wolf doesn't have what it takes to kill when needed"...

This. And stabbing a pregnant woman IS peace, Kyo'nne? I know she was hanging out with Nids for a while and all but this is just confusing.

Ariel should really just kick her ass out. She saved her, she has things to think about now, but she's too freakin' all over the place to be a stable ally now, apparently.
Sarah
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby The14th » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 pm

So much for fucking pacifist Minmay! Damn, I don't know any murderous pop stars I can use as her new nickname...
The14th
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Margirita » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Hmm trick dagger. Mom looks like she's been stabbed and they rush her out to save the baby at least. She uses the opportunity to escape. Kyo'nne follows her quiet to see where the real contacts are.

That I could live with. Doubt that will happen.
Margirita
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Dalvyserran » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Margirita wrote:Hmm trick dagger. Mom looks like she's been stabbed and they rush her out to save the baby at least. She uses the opportunity to escape. Kyo'nne follows her quiet to see where the real contacts are.

That I could live with. Doubt that will happen.

That looks pretty fatal to me

But more to the point, just a few pages ago, people who fought were killed and those who surrendered weren't.

What will killing the unarmed council, who surrendered, say to people still not yet under control? To Ariel's own group that aren't all on board with carrying this lying turncoat around in the first place?
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Moric » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Well, I didn't see THAT coming. *eek*

Kyo'nne my dear, life has not been good to you. You were already broken here, and already regretting your choices. Three more years of Nidraa'chal service could not have been healthy.

As a heartless side-note, when your primary combatants are females, and the only means of increasing power and status is to breed and kill, pregnant drow die all the time. While this murder is jarring to our sensibilities, I honestly wonder what would really happen in a world as described in this comic/wiki. It would probably make an Assyrian or even a Mongol lose his lunch. I do not blame Kern for not going there more often.

That said, I probably wouldn't have done it quite this way. Kyo'nne is most certainly correct, as she's probably seen it many times, about the fate of failures. That said, she didn't have to do the deed. Simply stating that she is currently awaiting word from "our lady" as to the desired method of delivering Kane's fate should be enough to turn all of their bowels to water. Adding in a question as to the fate of orphans would probably make it even worse.

I am thinking that there is good reason for Salbara to have made a last stand. Dying in battle cannot be worse than what awaited her for losing the airship.
Moric
Summoner

Postby Ardan Styyx » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Moric wrote:That said, I probably wouldn't have done it quite this way. Kyo'nne is most certainly correct, as she's probably seen it many times, about the fate of failures. That said, she didn't have to do the deed. Simply stating that she is currently awaiting word from "our lady" as to the desired method of delivering Kane's fate should be enough to turn all of their bowels to water. Adding in a question as to the fate of orphans would probably make it even worse.

'Could be a classical case of 'overwelming enthousiasm', as often witnessened among recently turned fanatics like Talibans or Nazis, usually very prone to this type of excess both to show their loyalty to the new cause and to reassure / push themselves beyond any return WRT to their decision of betraying and changing side. It is a kind of "self inflicted wound" by procuration.

However, considering Kyo's character so far, it seems a little short an explanation.
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Moric » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm

@Ardan Styyx: Agreed on both. I can, in hindsight, almost see this happening, but there is still quite a disconnect.

Perhaps the child can be saved? If so, Ariel aught make Kyo'nne the guardian, and there had better be no mistreatment, or else...
Moric
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Next time she sing it won't be so happy lovey-hopey. Time for her to get into goth metal.

Don't you mean goat metal? :P

Though seriously, Kyo's song "Now" is already pretty dark and violent.

(...and you know what? I would still love to see her pull a Minmay....)

Kardwill wrote:
riflow wrote:I'm a mixture of horrified and impressed.

Me too. No hesitation, no bluster, just a quick, strong and clean strike. I get the impression it's not her first murder. Between this, her cynical bitterness, and her earlier willingness to betray a friend, I guess her missions first as a spy for her clan, then as a Nid agent, have been pretty bloody.

Hmmm....it was a good strike, but I do wonder about it being her first...

In retrospect, several of her facial expressions seem to be steeling herself up for this, clearly dreading what she is about to do.*

I could see the next page being Kyo finding some corner to sob and vomit in.

*(I would like to emphasize again just how completely I misread that. I thought it would be the opposite - that Kyo would be upset with Ariel for attacking a colony Kyo long supported, even if it was done as bloodlessly as possible, that Kyo felt guilty for lying...just...jeez, it has been a long time since a piece of media has shocked me like this, even though it makes sense once I stop and think about it)

I hope we'd get a better explanation about this equivalent of a kick in the balls to the scenario, than just : "by the way, lots of things happened during the last chapters when she wasn't there, and she changed; now get over it".

I can understand how that can be unsatisfying, but that is the problem with timeskips - things keep happening even when the camera isn't running. (And I have to admit as much as I love the comic I am kind of frustrated how many times important things happen off-screen ^^; )

But I do think it makes sense. She has spent three years with the Nids - a group well known for gleefully committing heinous acts in the name of some nebulous better world. Three years of dealing with guilt and fear, and trying to stay sane by having some rationale why this is all ok, why it will out turn out for the better. And the only way to do that was to accept the Nid's rationale that ruthlessness is necessary, that compassion is weakness and mercy will be met with treachery.
She may have switched sides, but I think it makes sense she didn't abandon the mindset completely upon doing so

Besides, her words today do remind me of Kyo here: http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=12005
And I think she is an emotional and mental dark place right now, suffering from self-loathing and maybe even full on depression....

It is sad to see her like this, to see her fall so low from the idealist in your links, but I don't think it is out of nowhere, and I do find it pretty compelling. (Especially since many other characters have been a bit static for a while...)

I do hope she gets over it though, and gets a well deserved chewing out from Ariel.

That being said, her comment about ariel not killing when needed. I think she has it mistake.

Yeah, Ariel has killed plenty of people over the years - admittedly, usually in battle, but still she is not pacifist.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Ardan Styyx » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:In retrospect, several of her facial expressions seem to be steeling herself up for this, clearly dreading what she is about to do.*
I could see the next page being Kyo finding some corner to sob and vomit in.

Yep, that would be a more acceptable developpment. Anyway, the problem is not so much on the fact she comitted a horrible act that totaly contradict the vision most of readers had on her, it is that such a drastic "coup de théâtre" requires some background explanation, and not just letting the fans wandering on whathever happened to her during these past 3 years, without providing any answer.

I can understand how that can be unsatisfying, but that is the problem with timeskips - things keep happening even when the camera isn't running. (And I have to admit as much as I love the comic I am kind of frustrated how many times important things happen off-screen ^^; )

Indeed, but the good thing with a comic compared to a movie is that time is not necessary an issue : our beloved authors could easily introduce a solid flashback revealing how Kyo'nne finally became this bitter dark and depressed figure, for example through the explanation she will have to give to Ariel after this mess...

And I think she is an emotional and mental dark place right now, suffering from self-loathing and maybe even full on depression....

It is sad to see her like this, to see her fall so low from the idealist in your links, but I don't think it is out of nowhere, and I do find it pretty compelling.

I do hope she gets over it though, and gets a well deserved chewing out from Ariel.

Well, I think everybody agrees on this for sure! Having to take care of the (hopefully saved) orphan could be an option there.

That being said, her comment about ariel not killing when needed. I think she has it mistake.
Yeah, Ariel has killed plenty of people over the years - admittedly, usually in battle, but still she is not pacifist.

A luck she actually kept enough good heart to go to the point of almost killing herself when she rescued Kyo!
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Moric » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 pm

I am sure that such an extreme act will be fleshed out in the next few panels. That said, the next week will be most intriguing.

[edit:] Only Shan can bring her back, but now he's married. Too bad...
Moric
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to Moonless Age