Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 5

Chapter 54 : page 5

Postby Kern » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:40 am

The colony's fort is taken over from both sky and earth as they address the captured council's leader.
Chigusa blocked the entry from implied reinforcement. The owls are going in from the top. The golems break down the front down. Vaelia free slaves within. And the empath, including a certain banana are using the very same tactic as before on the people below. Is it perfect? Probably not, but this isn't the focus of the chapter, so its a fast pace takeover that focus on people who are actually not fighting. Its quite likely there is many struggles ongoing that'll make it a bloody takeover, especially on the owls side.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 5

Postby firegold » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:41 am

aw yeah, I love when Ariel gets her Quain-face on.
firegold
Nether Seed

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Irae Maeviir » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:08 am

She'll seize power in a bloodless coup, all the council members will be smothered.

PS: Banana girl joined another empath band... forget about Spellsong, someone give those 3 some guitars or whatever.
Irae Maeviir
Tainted

Location: Watching what's going on from her own pocket dimension

Postby The14th » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:10 am

Solid strategy, a decapitation strike before the enemy knows there is a fight.
The14th
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:13 am

A very clever and well executed operation.

But taking it is the easy part. The real question is: can you hold it?

It is amusing and heartwarming to get to see Vaelia free more slaves under Ariel's command.
I joked about Ariel being drow George Washington before, but it looks like she might be drow Lincoln instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v582kPp43Mg
(But wait, does this mean they wouldn't have freed the slaves if a deal had been reached? Actually makes me glad they broke down then.)

Though I have to admit her little monologue sounds so much like something Snad would say. But hey, who doesn't enjoy a good gloat now and then?

Man, it is weird seeing Bae on the main character's side.
Oh, and speaking of defectors, I wonder if Kyonne is here. Besides her spellsong, the fact that one of Ys and Snad's greatest advocates has switched sides might further demoralize the enemy.

Surprised the Sarghs still have that many golems after everything.

Ah, so the Sarghress legion is known in Ys. Word travels fast. I do wonder how they will make their appearance.

And Ariel, you should know better than anyone you might not hear them because they are ninjas. :P

She'll seize power in a bloodless coup, all the council members will be smothered.

By Slainne?

There are worse ways to go, I suppose....
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby riflow » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:04 am

Honestly I was pensive about them doing this in the last page but just seeing Vaelia freeing those slaves swept that away. I suppose Machike was the exception and most "colonists" consist primarily of slaves and some nobles in other settlements.
riflow
Summoner

Postby Black Knight LeFreux » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 am

riflow wrote:Honestly I was pensive about them doing this in the last page but just seeing Vaelia freeing those slaves swept that away. I suppose Machike was the exception and most "colonists" consist primarily of slaves and some nobles in other settlements.

I guess Ys and Felde have just become private vacation establishments for a wealthy and warfearing nobility, with lots of "servants" but few actual citizens.

This means that a portion of Ys population won't be opposing the new leadership. If their old masters win, they'll get a new collar and a good whipping to make them forget their short-lasting freedom.

Unless the slaves are indoctrinated to believe being in chain is their first and last purpose in this world.

Ariel is right on the last panel. A Sarg legion may be coming, but they'll come too late to prevent the takeover, and Kane's life depends entirely on Ariel's good will. Fortunately for her, Ariel isn't the typical drow... unlike her mistress in Felde.
Black Knight LeFreux
Vel'akar

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:33 am

riflow wrote:Honestly I was pensive about them doing this in the last page but just seeing Vaelia freeing those slaves swept that away. I suppose Machike was the exception and most "colonists" consist primarily of slaves and some nobles in other settlements.

Black Knight LeFreux wrote:

I guess Ys and Felde have just become private vacation establishments for a wealthy and warfearing nobility, with lots of "servants" but few actual citizens.

This means that a portion of Ys population won't be opposing the new leadership. If their old masters win, they'll get a new collar and a good whipping to make them forget their short-lasting freedom.

Unless the slaves are indoctrinated to believe being in chain is their first and last purpose in this world.

Ariel is right on the last panel. A Sarg legion may be coming, but they'll come too late to prevent the takeover, and Kane's life depends entirely on Ariel's good will. Fortunately for her, Ariel isn't the typical drow... unlike her mistress in Felde.

Hmmm....probably best not to overstate the case. Slavery is a rather common and accepted part of drow culture, Ariel is kind of the odd one out for opposing it.

Particularly since these slaves all seem to be orcs and humans, and drow tend to be pretty racist.

Honestly, freeing the slaves might just make the drow of the colony, even poor ones with no slaves of their own, turn against her all the more, seeing it as robbery and not liking the idea of goblins being treated as equal. Certainly happened in the American colonies a lot - not just the US but the Caribbean and South America as well.

Though regardless of what they feel I certainly approve of freeing slaves, so I have to agree with riflow that this makes me feel a bit better about this whole thing.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 am

I wonder how much the Sarghess troops know about the current situation. They can't like beings pawvs of the Alliance, which is controlled by Zala, who is controlled by Snadhya, much less to be ordered to , hunt Quain'tana's heir to return Snadhya her stuff...

Ariel and Kel'noz may convince them to join; that's how Kern could end the story fast...

I guess we will soon learn if neo-Khaless is controlling the Sarghess...
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora

Postby El Bandito » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:04 am

Checkmate.
El Bandito
Summoner

Postby Whizzard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:07 am

I think Ariel has potential to actually take charge of the Sarghress legions that are supposed to attack them. After all, all she needs to do is show them the accomplishments of her faction under her and Kel's leadership which is not hard to do and are quite considerable. They'll believe she's the Quain's heir when they see the airship and Ys under her control, not to mention the tales of vanquished goblin horde and enemies turned allies in form of Mimians (they never were enemies of Ariel's but supposedly the enemies of Chel so it counts). Quain'tana didn't achieve everything on her own either (and they all know how good she was at turning enemies into allies for her cause, half of their leadership used to be Quain's enemy at some point), she too had help from other people in her accomplishments so they can't even diss that on grounds of someone else achieveing them.

Maybe the most Ariel has to do is defeat Koil'dorath in a duel which admittedly is extremely difficult but I think Ariel could do it with a bit of help from her abilities. We already know fire is not much of an advantage against Ariel.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Smokehammer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:30 am

Does Koil even care though? To me it seems like if Ariel asked she'd back her as heir. She didnt care to take up the fight against the way things have been going because Quain killed her mom & dad, but she doesnt strike me as someone who would hold that grudge against Ariel if Ariel proved herself worthy. Nah, its Sang and/or Rosof she has to worry about.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby xellos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:32 am

Doom Chinchilla wrote:Ariel and Kel'noz may convince them to join; that's how Kern could end the story fast...

I feel like it's less 'ending the story fast' and more 'keeping the story going'. As is, the Wolfpack is massively outnumbered and outgunned, even with the airship. They need to drag themselves up several magnitudes of strength before they can properly defend themselves, much less affect any sort of change in the setting.
xellos
Tik'tikki

Postby Whizzard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 am

Smokehammer wrote:Does Koil even care though? To me it seems like if Ariel asked she'd back her as heir. She didnt care to take up the fight against the way things have been going because Quain killed her mom & dad, but she doesnt strike me as someone who would hold that grudge against Ariel if Ariel proved herself worthy. Nah, its Sang and/or Rosof she has to worry about.

I still think it'll be Koil'dorath, Koil seemed to change after her mother died so she may harbor some hate for Ariel as a proxy. Rosof is too old challenge Ariel's leadership and besides he's one of the more honorable ones, Sang likely would stand against Ariel but as a combatant I'd say she's below Koil and Koil likely is the face of the clan these days anyhow while Sang has perhaps taken a role of leading behind the curtains. If anything, it'd be them who would make Koil duel Ariel even if Koil doesn't want to, Sang because she's proven to be manipulative and likely would see Koil able to kill Ariel fir her and Rosof because he honors tradition.
Last edited by Whizzard on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Ardan Styyx » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 am

A good move for sure, as long as the "shock and awe" effect works. Preparation of this plan must have been a nightmare to coordinate such an heterogenous party and to impose the use of minimum necessary violence. That makes it even more admirable.

But it's just the begining : alliances are usually solid during the dynamic part of an attack / campain ; problems start when you deal with some more static issues, like the treatment of the prisonners, the plunding or not question, the division of authority, etc and so on. Here, we'll see if the Mimians can indeed restrain themselves, or if this "Sun-Tse ish" victory will turn into a more classical bloodbath.

Now, I am quite amazed of Bae switching side so easily. I thought she hated Ash (we still don't know why, do we?) to the point of becoming a nice little pawn of Snad, along with her sisters.
Maybe listening to Kyonn'e music pushed the three empath to side together to finally muzzle her for good? 8P
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Next

Return to Moonless Age