Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

chapter 54 : page 2

Re: chapter 54 : page 2

Postby PSadlon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Moric wrote:There's been some great discussion here, and I can't respond in a way that gives due credit, so I apologise beforehand.

To begin with, I try my best to consider the working philosophy and ethics within the setting. If I don't, then enjoying, say, The Godfather would simply not happen. This is true for Drowtales as well. As far as I can tell, such concepts as universal dignity, rights, and justice simply have no bearing (outside of some demented Vloz radicals). The concept of fair play is only applicable for those who have the power to insist upon it. In this world, might actually does make righr, and the only people who care about someone are her family members, if even then.

So, going back to The Godfather, Michael's family has suffered some pretty nasty losses, has been undercut by supposed allies, and subject to some dirty tricks. If Michael cries and continues to be a model citizen, everything that means anything to his family is destroyed. As such, I would see a coup for Ys to be no dirtier for a drow than a pistol hidden behind a toilet is for a mobster.

As for how this plays out, please consider every member of the Alliance is acting out of pure self-interest. If Felde's colony gets sacked, nobody cares unless food prices rise in Chel. If the rightful heir of the Sarghress gets in the way of Chelian Sarghress ambitions, she will be forcefully removed from existence, unless, of course, there is reason to be afraid of her.

Now part of the Drow culture is undeniably hero worship and a belief in ancestry and inherited greatness. Throughout much of Arc II, there are cues where drow, friend and enemy alike expect Ariel to become her grandmother. So, if this is the case, exile to the overworld and returning as a conqueress is damn near a messianic Quain'tana's Second Coming. As for the details, narrative momentum of victories is key.

As for taking Ys, how many war-weary colonists feel like dying? Many perhaps if the alternative is also dying, but if merely an inconvenience or annoyance? Ehhhh...

I suspect you are right they 'expect Ariel to become her grandmother', that said I feel in trying to stop that from happening they are triggering the event they desire to stop.

Other than the odd clip here or their I have never watched or read the Godfather. I suppose I should at some point but I've yet to do so.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby Moric » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:55 pm

PSadlon wrote:I suspect you are right they 'expect Ariel to become her grandmother', that said I feel in trying to stop that from happening they are triggering the event they desire to stop.

I would say that there are some that would secretly wish for it to happen, some would only subconsciously hope that it would, others would doubt, and yet others would dread that outcome.
PSadlon wrote:Other than the odd clip here or their I have never watched or read the Godfather. I suppose I should at some point but I've yet to do so.

I know. So many movies and books to consume, and not so much free time. If you do find the time, follow it up with Godfather II, though I don't recommend III.
Moric
Summoner

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Smokehammer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 pm

Ah but here's the issue. Ys might be supplying food to the Alliance so Ys might be an enemy. But what is the net gain in attacking Ys? They cant attack and HOLD enough of the colonies to starve the underworld without a ton of chaos down below (the underworld survived without colonies for a very long time). If they attack Ys, all theyre doing is adding up asshole points, and while I agree with ya Moric, nobody in this world pays attention to you unless you are an asshole -note that Kane specifically tells Ariel to screw off even more on this page when she refuses to be nice because "thats the Sarghress way" - bully until you get what you want. Snadhya's plans actually seem to be working. People are getting sick of assholism. This is why many of us who are pro-Snad are well, pro-Snad. She may be a soulless, manipulative, self-centered literal monster from another dimension but she's at least savvy enough to throw out crumbs of justice and be polite after she's let you stab yourself. Only she amongst the "elder cast" has the first few splinters of "Humanity" that we admire as shadows in the younger cast. Its all a lie, but it may lead to the truth far better than Ariel falling down a slippery slope like Sarv did. Plus we already have Kiel for that *wee*
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Moric » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:21 am

1) I doubt that Machike eats anywhere near as much as Chel does, so likely the only caravans to get shafted are those headed to Felde.

2) Many other colonies don't give a hoot about Felde, one way or the other.

3) Ys is likely the largest, as Snads had all non-Sarghress colonies destroyed, and I doubt that there were any survivors. As such, Ys being part of a surface alliance (even if by takeover) would make it more attractive for other colonies to join, perhaps even willingly.

4) Is Ischa with the Wolfpack as a member (unlikely), an agent (more likely), or as a shipper for Waes+Kel? (very likely) Either way, those with rank and connections amongst Alliance leaders do exist within the Wolfpack. This can be a boon to dealings with other colonies.

[edit]5) I am interested in the Wolfpack's intelligence on Snadhya's "death". On one hand, they were too busy with the Civil War to know about the supposed success of Nishi's attack, on the other, Kyo'nne wasn't a lowly grunt in Felde...

6) Kel'noz is pretty deep on this gambit, if not the author of it. Considering that he's the overly cautious diplomat, I find it difficult to imagine this to be a strategic blunder or faux pas among the Vals.

7) We have Kiel for turtles, princes, and broken fourth walls.
Moric
Summoner

Postby PSadlon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:37 am

Given Waes was on the ship on the chapter cover page she is likely there representing Waes in some form or other and she is never not a shipper, despite Waes's attempts to actively discourage her.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 am

PSadlon wrote:Given Waes was on the ship on the chapter cover page she is likely there representing Waes in some form or other and she is never not a shipper, despite Waes's attempts to actively discourage her.

I think that is Ash, not Waes.

Really hard to imagine Waes joining with this rebellion. Little chance of success, allies far away, teaming up with filthy peasants etc.

It is something of an awkward situation for Ischa and Bwoman. Technically, the Machtike residents are supposed to have cut ties with their old clans, but since the Ischa cameo was a gift and Bwoman didn't pick the colonists, I remember it being that she was there as an envoy - but now that they are war with the whole alliance, such a thing is harder to imagine.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby PSadlon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 am

Sorry You are right. I got confoozled by names for a sec. Nothing new.

Maybe Waes got tired of Ischa shipping her with ever one she met.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby Dybad » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:12 am

Is it just me, or does Ariel have some impressive arm strength to flip a table this size so easily from a remote extremity ? o_O
Dybad
Tainted

Postby Moric » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:10 am

Dybad wrote:Is it just me, or does Ariel have some impressive arm strength to flip a table this size so easily from a remote extremity ? o_O

No, she's been working out.
Moric
Summoner

Postby Dybad » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:17 am

That's beyond just working out, it's what Quaintana would do. I get the clear feeling Ariel's shapeshifting power also has some nice body-strengthening perks, which makes sense when you think about it.
Dybad
Tainted

Postby Moric » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Sorry, was meant to be funny. Yes, that is exactly what Quain would do, well, she wouldn't have said no twice. At the first insulting rejection, the table would have flown. Ariel is still young though. :D
Moric
Summoner

Previous

Return to Moonless Age