Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 52 : page 2

Re: Chapter 52 : page 2

Postby hiller » Tue May 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Oh god please don't get killed Vaelia. I don't think I could take it if you died.
hiller
Summoner

Postby evilmike » Tue May 16, 2017 2:19 pm

And everybody dies.
evilmike
Summoner

Postby rediius » Tue May 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Sinsystems wrote:
Whizzard wrote:
Whizzard wrote: It's the best melee weapon ever devised: a big stick.

Well, staff IS a pole arm. Some historians say that staves and cudgels were often most common weapons on battlefields since most soldiers were simple peasants who couldn't afford to pay blacksmiths to make them a proper metal weapon.

Most common is not the best. Otherwise you could argue that McDonald's make the best burgers. No one with a choice would pick a bare wooden pole with very, very few exceptions.
rediius
Nether Seed

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Marcellogo » Tue May 16, 2017 3:59 pm

There is not a single best cold steel weapon, it depends from the formation you take, if you are fighting individually or as a part of a group, if you are horse mounted or at foot and what enemy you ar facing and in what terrain...
In this case as soon as the villager can keep formation they have an advantage against actual opponents, but in case they would meet horse archers or shield protected crossbowmen they are doomed.
Marcellogo
Summoner

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Castamir » Tue May 16, 2017 4:17 pm

With a spear, you hit once and kill or incapacitate the opponent. With a staff or a cudgel, you need quite a beating. If you even consider them being anything remotely in the same tier, you've been playing too many video games.

A spear also happens to have a large reach, and, among real weapons, is cheapest: the only metal part is the spearhead. "Just" the spearhead is many many times more costly than the rest -- metal was absurdly expensive in ancient/medieval times. A cudgel costs nothing in comparison, that's the main reason peasant armies used cudgels.

Spear is also massively better weapon even compared to a sword, about the same way a rifle is massively better than a handgun. Yet more people use handguns than rifles.
Castamir
Nether Seed

Postby Tainted Messiah » Tue May 16, 2017 4:24 pm

*Evil laugh*

Yessss...Yesssss... YESSSSSSSS!!!!

*cough*

Alright enough of that.. so Kern cranked the action up to 11 with a full out planet of the apes invasion will be curious to see how that goes. From my first thoughts they definitely have the numbers advantage and its not looking terribly good for the tiny group of goblin colonists though I am sure the drow who can summon fireballs and reshape the earth are busy slaughtering them by the thousands off screen... cause you know.. thug drow life.

Just for context though the frame makes it look like they are either heading towards the fort or away from it both would seem kind of confusing to me if they haven't already killed off Vaelia and all of her accompanying warriors.

... unless they intend to capture and torture some of them right in front of the drow.. who knows how they do stuff but I guess we will find out. :3

My sneaking suspicion based on the cover page is that for all the craziness this seems to be its just going to end up being a context to provide Ariel with a 'wow what a grown up badass she has become' moment rather then a viable threat to the drow people but we will see how it goes either way will be plenty of action I am sure heh.
Tainted Messiah
Demon

Postby TunesGod » Tue May 16, 2017 4:52 pm

If only Anakin and his mother could've fought against the tusken raiders like this :c
TunesGod
Nether Seed

Postby sunhawk » Tue May 16, 2017 5:58 pm

I'll break Kern's thumbs if Vaelia has a cheap death.
sunhawk
Tainted

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Dalvyserran » Tue May 16, 2017 6:23 pm

sunhawk wrote:I'll break Kern's thumbs if Vaelia has a cheap death.

Why?

Tainted Messiah wrote:*Evil laugh*

Yessss...Yesssss... YESSSSSSSS!!!!

*cough*

Alright enough of that.. so Kern cranked the action up to 11 with a full out planet of the apes invasion will be curious to see how that goes. From my first thoughts they definitely have the numbers advantage and its not looking terribly good for the tiny group of goblin colonists though I am sure the drow who can summon fireballs and reshape the earth are busy slaughtering them by the thousands off screen... cause you know.. thug drow life.

Well, you have to remember that this is the surface, where

1. Hermionne have a tactical advantage in knowing the terrain and knowledge of cold weather warfare
2. This is the surface so Drow can't summon fireballs willy nilly. Mana is scarce in a colony, and outside? Non existent.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby sunhawk » Tue May 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Dalvyserran wrote:

Why?

Vaelia deserves better. It is ok for most drow to have cheap deaths. The drow world is crazy and cruel.

Vaelia has been there for Ariel and the Sarghress, always, and with out ulterior motive. A beacon of hope and sanity in a world full of sociopathic darklings.
sunhawk
Tainted

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Dalvyserran » Tue May 16, 2017 6:43 pm

sunhawk wrote:
Dalvyserran wrote:

Why?

Vaelia deserves better. It is ok for most drow to have cheap deaths. The drow world is crazy and cruel.

Vaelia has been there for Ariel and the Sarghress, always, and with out ulterior motive. A beacon of hope and sanity in a world full of sociopathic darklings.

Well, not everyone can take up ten pages' worth of heroic sacrifice... In the grand scope, Vaelia is a very minor entity in the colony & clan.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Tue May 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Dalvyserran wrote:
sunhawk wrote:
Dalvyserran wrote:Why?

Well, not everyone can take up ten pages' worth of heroic sacrifice... In the grand scope, Vaelia is a very minor entity in the colony & clan.

Vaelia's status within the Sarghess is irrelevant. As a character, she is more important for the readers that the whole Machike.

Captain John Miller is irrelevant in the scope of WWII, but for the viewers of Saving Private Ryan, he is more important that the rest of the army (and yes, I know, I know, Vaelia isn't the protagonist of Drowtales, but she's a very important secondary character).
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Mizu » Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 pm

sunhawk wrote:
Dalvyserran wrote:

Why?

So, what you are saying is that she has stepped into and stayed in the drow world?
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Wed May 17, 2017 2:21 am

Panel 3: Kenro goes for center mass. Vaelia goes for the head *wee* "IN YOUR FACE, MOTHERKILLER!" (I'm so proud of them, what a team *sniff* B) )

About the last panel: from the way their flags are flying, the army in the background appears to be rushing up the hill. So, if that's the Hermionne army, who are those two handfuls of figures standing at the foot of the tower? Because the Drow atop the tower appear to be dropping rocks on them, so I assume they're Hermionnes...but the Hermionne army is coming up the hill... *hmmm*

btw TGTG, panel 3 answers our questions from the previous page: of the trio of highlighted Hermionne soldiers, the fella on the left appears to be wearing a brown backpack, and headshot in the back appears to be wearing brown pauldrons and pants (the way those pauldrons are shaped, I doubt they are leather, so I defer to you that it is likely bronze...the pants look leather though) :)
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: Bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the (Mist) Sea
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Whizzard » Wed May 17, 2017 10:09 am

Castamir wrote:With a spear, you hit once and kill or incapacitate the opponent. With a staff or a cudgel, you need quite a beating. If you even consider them being anything remotely in the same tier, you've been playing too many video games

That's where you are mistaken. I consider staff to be superior from real life experience. In video games it's often the weakest weapon for no reason. You think staff doesn't do much damage because it's blunt. But a hardwood staff is about as heavy as a
steel mace while having twice the reach and speed. It's blows are hard enough to crack skulls in one hit and even a blow in relatively safe spot hurts like hell. I've been hit with a cudgel on my tight and trust me I didn't want to get hit second time because the pain was crippling. Staff hits even harder. If it hits you in a knee, a wrist, a hip or a shoulder, it's enough to shatter that joint crippling you for a very long time. If it hits you in the chest, it easily shatters ribs. A poke can crush your heart. A blow to the neck can kill.

And it still is more effective against armor than a sword is. Helmets do little against blunt weapons as all that force will still jiggle around your brain and possiblity break your neck.

And did you know people don't spar with hardwood staves? They spar with blunt steel swords but they don't dare to spar with normal weight wooden staves. Because staves will cause injuries even if you are properly padded.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Previous

Return to Moonless Age