Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 52 : page 2

Chapter 52 : page 2

Postby Kern » Tue May 16, 2017 6:51 am

The raiders are ambushed by the colonists set to defend their homes and lives. Yet what they face is but a side force compared to the wave storming up the hill.
The son is now the mother's height, if not taller.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 52 : page 2

Postby Moatl » Tue May 16, 2017 6:54 am

Mommy, Mommy, I don't want to go to America any mor - Shut up and keep swimming... ;)
Moatl
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Junglefowl26 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:06 am

Coooool. Even the goblins of Machtike are warriors and not to be trifled with.

Kenro even got armor shaped just like his mothers. Neat.

Makes me wish I had made an emberi colonist cameo - but there wasn't any way of knowing at the time
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Hfar » Tue May 16, 2017 7:18 am

Well, the human colonists are holding their own. It'll be interesting to see how the drow are fairing.
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Whizzard » Tue May 16, 2017 8:53 am

That's the problem with spears: once it gets stuck in someone's carcass, you are without a weapon. I prefer quarter staves myself. Doesn't get stuck anywhere, every part is a weapon, it has reach, breaks bones, doesn't give a f. about armor, has utility and can be used non-lethally. ^^

It's the best melee weapon ever devised: a big stick.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Postby riflow » Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 am

Don't die don't die......
riflow
Summoner

Postby rediius » Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 am

Whizzard wrote: It's the best melee weapon ever devised: a big stick.

If more people agreed with you, then historical armies would have preferred that. Instead, every real life historical army I can think of preferred pole arms for melee, with the exception of the Romans, who used big shields and short swords, and the Aztec, who used one handed sticks with obsidian teeth trying not to kill too manyopponents so they could be taken prisoner for later sacrifice.
rediius
Nether Seed

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Whizzard » Tue May 16, 2017 11:32 am

rediius wrote:

If more people agreed with you, then historical armies would have preferred that. Instead, every real life historical army I can think of preferred pole arms for melee, with the exception of the Romans, who used big shields and short swords, and the Aztec, who used one handed sticks with obsidian teeth trying not to kill too manyopponents so they could be taken prisoner for later sacrifice.

Well, staff IS a pole arm. Some historians say that staves and cudgels were often most common weapons on battlefields since most soldiers were simple peasants who couldn't afford to pay blacksmiths to make them a proper metal weapon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterstaff

Besides, staff is not a simple weapon to use effectively (as effective use means using both ends) while spear requires zero skill. Just poke and if that doesn't work, keep poking.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Tue May 16, 2017 12:12 pm

Kenro did good there. Protected his mother's back from a Hermione backstabber. Seems the drow language wasn't all he learned in the outer villages under drow tutelage.

If the Hermione's thought this was going to be easy, they were very, very wrong. As for the drow, you can be damn sure Ariel isn't just sitting down and letting it happen, and as we were just shown, Machike does have walls. What the Hermiones are attacking now is the outer farming settlement. I can't wait to see how the Hermiones are going to react to seeing the airship.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby SoulCode » Tue May 16, 2017 12:22 pm

Now this is some impressive stuff. Loving the action.
SoulCode
Vel'akar

Postby Sinsystems » Tue May 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Whizzard wrote:
rediius wrote:

Well, staff IS a pole arm. Some historians say that staves and cudgels were often most common weapons on battlefields since most soldiers were simple peasants who couldn't afford to pay blacksmiths to make them a proper metal weapon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterstaff

Besides, staff is not a simple weapon to use effectively (as effective use means using both ends) while spear requires zero skill. Just poke and if that doesn't work, keep poking.

Except what they're using aren't Spears. It's a single sided blade at the end of a pole which would classify it as a Glaive which is superior to a Spear and a Quarterstaff.
Sinsystems
Summoner

Postby Dalvyserran » Tue May 16, 2017 1:19 pm

And here we see the very first goblin vs goblin conflict on a page!
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Zaber » Tue May 16, 2017 1:23 pm

I expect to see an evolved Ariel coming to their aid, wieldinga two-handed sword.

The two-handed sword part, being my BIGGEST wet dream <3
Zaber
Nether Seed

Postby Zarannya » Tue May 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Sinsystems wrote:Except what they're using aren't Spears. It's a single sided blade at the end of a pole which would classify it as a Glaive which is superior to a Spear and a Quarterstaff.

I thought glaive too, or potentially this world's version of a naginata, considering the Emberi seem to be heavily influenced by Asian (more specifically Japanese) culture. Definitely considered superior to a spear or quarterstaff...but then again, any weapon in the hands of a true master could be considered dangerous.

These Emberi don't appear to be ready to go down without a fight!
Zarannya
Nether Spawn

Postby El Bandito » Tue May 16, 2017 1:33 pm

Those hermies are gonna feel The Bear's wrath.
El Bandito
Nether Spawn

Next

Return to Moonless Age