Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

chapter 52 : Page 1

Re: chapter 52 : Page 1

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Mon May 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Basileus_Ioannis wrote:
ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:They also seem to be wearing pauldrons as well, going back to the first panel the one with mail covered arms is wearing a pauldron made from a light colored metal(presumably steel), and one of the dudes in the bottom panels is wearing a single bronze pauldron on his right shoulder which brings up the question of why their using different metals for their armor especially since bronze is expensive compared to iron and its unlikely it was looted from the Halmes since they are significantly smaller then Herms and armor fitted for them is unlikely to fit on a Herm.
Might not be bronze, but red paint, perhaps to denote rank/function (an aside: the first thing I thought about when I saw the ruddy pauldron was the anime Armored Trooper VOTOMS, they had an elite unit of mechs with red painted shoulder pieces)
ThatGuyThisGuy also wrote:Also in that top panel the guy to the right seems be wearing a bronze cuirass(It really doesn't seem to be a shield since he clearly has his shield held in his left arm.),
It's a bit dark brown for bronze (it's probably a matter of alloy ratio, but most bronze armor I've seen photos of look golden amber), and appears to be projecting out from his back, so I'd figure he's one of the few who are wearing leather backpacks (perhaps a sapper? medic? RATELO? ;) )
ThatGuyThisGuy also wrote:though I wonder if those vests their wearing are some kind of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_plates or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigandine since if you look closely at the guy at the bottom you'll notice what seems to be studs on his vest(Though not many so it probably isn't Brigandine.) and it has an irregular pattern and though it may just be me but it looks a little rigid, and looking back at the bronze pauldron guy and the dude kicking to the right their vests are held together by straps at the back which is a feature common in armor but is generally pretty rare in clothes(This was not universal and it bears mentioning Brigandine usually had straps at the front.). Also such armor was usually issued as general use armor for common soldiers so it makes sense it would universal equipment for the Herms.
Yeah the rear lacing is throwing me for a loop too, and would be inconvenient for the wearer, would require a buddy to lace him up or undo it so he can take off his armor (if he falls into deep water, good luck fella). And I agree, the pips look too few and small to be studs for armor, so I'd venture a guess that it's some sort of quilting, which would coincide with the vertical seams (brigandine would tend to have beau coup rivets, but it might be hidden by the outer layer of quilted cloth). In any case, these Herms look rather well equipped and organized, the Machike defenders are gonna have their hands full B)

That doesn't seem to likely to me since it doesn't look like anykind of color to me other then brownish, and who would paint their gear brown?

That does not look like a backpack to me, for one it seem to be perfectly flat against his back.

You misunderstand me, I said it wasn't likely Brigandine since the rivets are to few, what I meant with that was not that it isn't metal armor I intended for it to mean was that it was likely a Coat of Plates not a Brigandine since the difference between the two forms of armor is that COP uses fewer larger plates and therefore would require less rivets to hold it together which given that it seems to be general issue infantry armor cost saving measures are to be expected.The straps are likely put there to make sure that when they face their opponent head on there are not any exposed weakpoints in their torso armor for the enemy to exploit, also if they try to turn and run there exposing the straps holding their armor together and if they desert the army by themselves they will have a hard time managing their armor by themselves. Also it isn't that hard to actually swim in armor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkMLpKKkhKE. (Well at least Chainmail isn't to hard but full plate is near impossible to swim in https://vimeo.com/13634653.)
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Tempestfury » Tue May 16, 2017 10:19 am

TheMutant wrote:I can answer that; here, back in A Song Of Hope.

so she did, and Ariel did promise to take it very seriously.

Obsidian Agent wrote:And if you want to see a reversal of the species' power levels, I'd recommend reading the thread on Spacebattles where DT had the misfortune of going up against... The Wheel of Time. Which... did not go well for the Drow. At all.

Now that's just unfair. The Wheel of Time has reality manipulating characters. As in, a guy who is so godamn lucky he can roll on one on TWO dice, OR he can roll two sixes on dice that are weighted to ALWAYS land on five.

And he isn't even the main character!

Junglefowl26 wrote:*In all fairness, most premodern armies could not deal with snow at all, and did not fight in the winter. This is part of the reason Washington's crossing of the Delaware was so successful. The fact that the Hermoine are able to launch a winter attack despite being early medieval is very impressive.

Isn't it early spring?

Either way, yeah. The mongols got a huge advangedte over Russia by actually saying FUCK YOU to the normal law of 'DON'T INVADE RUSSIA IN WINTER YOU DUMBASS'.

Invade a city by using it's frozen river as a means to get inside, anyone?
Tempestfury
Nether Seed

Postby Kardwill » Wed May 17, 2017 2:05 pm

Tempestfury wrote:Invade a city by using it's frozen river as a means to get inside, anyone?[/color]

Invading the Novgorod Republic by crossing a frozen lake didn't work too well for the Teutonic Knights, though ^^
Kardwill
Summoner

Postby sunhawk » Wed May 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Emberi is the Hungarian word for human.
sunhawk
Tainted

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Thu May 18, 2017 12:31 am

sunhawk wrote:Emberi is the Hungarian word for human.

That is neat, I did not know that! :) An easter egg...

A cursory search for "Halme" and "Hermionne" didn't turn up anything (but a whole boatload of Harry Potter related hits for the latter), though :S
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: Bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the (Mist) Sea
Clan: Sarghress

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 am

Basileus_Ioannis wrote:
sunhawk wrote:Emberi is the Hungarian word for human.

That is neat, I did not know that! :) An easter egg...

A cursory search for "Halme" and "Hermionne" didn't turn up anything (but a whole boatload of Harry Potter related hits for the latter), though :S

Hermione is one of the names of an ancient Germanic tribe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irminones

"The Irminones, also referred to as Herminones or Hermiones (Ancient Greek: Ἑρμίονες), were a group of early Germanic tribes settling in the Elbe watershed and by the 1st century AD expanding into Bavaria, Swabia and Bohemia. Irminonic or Elbe Germanic is a conventional term grouping early West Germanic dialects ancestral to High German,[3] which would include modern Standard German."
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Fri May 19, 2017 12:55 am

ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:
Basileus_Ioannis wrote:A cursory search for "Halme" and "Hermionne" didn't turn up anything (but a whole boatload of Harry Potter related hits for the latter), though :S
Hermione is one of the names of an ancient Germanic tribe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irminones

"The Irminones, also referred to as Herminones or Hermiones (Ancient Greek: Ἑρμίονες), were a group of early Germanic tribes settling in the Elbe watershed and by the 1st century AD expanding into Bavaria, Swabia and Bohemia. Irminonic or Elbe Germanic is a conventional term grouping early West Germanic dialects ancestral to High German,[3] which would include modern Standard German."
Oh, no way! :@ My Czech quarter is embarrassed that I didn't know it, the other 3/4 is pissed that I didn't find it! *wee* Thanks TGTG! 8P
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: Bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the (Mist) Sea
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Tempestfury » Fri May 19, 2017 10:00 am

Kardwill wrote:Invading the Novgorod Republic by crossing a frozen lake didn't work too well for the Teutonic Knights, though ^^

Aren't the Teutonic Knights basically medevial tanks? As in, they wore a shit-ton of armour?
Tempestfury
Nether Seed

Postby HoneyBee » Fri May 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Tempestfury wrote:
Kardwill wrote:Invading the Novgorod Republic by crossing a frozen lake didn't work too well for the Teutonic Knights, though ^^

Aren't the Teutonic Knights basically medevial tanks? As in, they wore a shit-ton of armour?

In games, yeah. It wasn't exactly that objectively.
HoneyBee
Vel'akar

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Previous

Return to Moonless Age