Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 51 : Page 28

Re: Chapter 51 : Page 28

Postby Tempestfury » Thu May 04, 2017 9:19 am

Vaelia... has a surprisingly simplistic view on the matter. Good people do good things if in charge... but I can't help but hope it is indeed the case.
Tempestfury
Nether Seed

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Thu May 04, 2017 12:24 pm

Hey, Anahid did pretty good too. Heck, she TOLD OFF SNAD, and not only did it stick, she actually managed to live through it, intact, a unhique accomplishment to say the least.

Vaelia may just have a point. I hope she's right.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Tainted Messiah » Thu May 04, 2017 5:53 pm

OH COME ON!

If that speech wasn't a drowtales red flag for the whole continent to explode into little flaming bits because Snadya accidently left her world ending bomb plugged in and forgot to turn it off ( hate when that happens ) I don't know what is. XD

As for Kern's comments on Vaelia I have often wondered how authors like Kern, Sohmer, etc. who decide to let their characters age/progress through life ( ie not stuck one age forever ) feel after working with them for a long time if there is a sort of sentimental attachment there... or if they are all just willing to go George Martin on them at the drop of a hat. haha
Tainted Messiah
Demon

Postby Seraphina126 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 pm

Oh Vaelia. You're almost too naive for someone who survived what could be perceived as hell for others of your race deep down there in the Underdark. I had expected her to be at least a tad more cynical after serving years as a gladiator to what non-Drow races must perceive as barbaric and chaotic beings such as the Drow are.

Especially ironic to see a non-Drow character perceive the Drow as "good" while Kern based Drowtales of the Drow from Dungeons and Dragons lore, in which they are clearly described as chaotic and unpopular beings tending towards the more evil side of the moral scale.

Give Ariel a couple of centuries to gain some real experience in life and she may just as well turn into a more cynical version of Quain'tana. And god damn, does she need some real life smacking her in the face.
Seraphina126
Summoner

Postby abadidea » Thu May 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Tainted Messiah wrote:OH COME ON!

If that speech wasn't a drowtales red flag for the whole continent to explode into little flaming bits because Snadya accidently left her world ending bomb plugged in and forgot to turn it off ( hate when that happens ) I don't know what is. XD

As for Kern's comments on Vaelia I have often wondered how authors like Kern, Sohmer, etc. who decide to let their characters age/progress through life ( ie not stuck one age forever ) feel after working with them for a long time if there is a sort of sentimental attachment there... or if they are all just willing to go George Martin on them at the drop of a hat. haha

I just finished [as in, still in editing] my second of eight planned books; I started developing the story in 2007 and started what would be the draft of the first book that "stuck" in 2012 so I've known many of the characters a long time now. I've had some of their deaths *planned* pretty much that entire time but it doesn't really affect how I *feel* about them either way. To me characters still "exist" when they die, because all the story that comes before is equally as important as what comes after.

But if you want an interesting case study... go look at the comic strip called Funky Winkerbean. The guy wrote a high school comedy about a couple of nerds for literally decades before aging the cast into adulthood and eventually killing off the female lead with cancer. And now... the entire story now is basically about how she's dead and that's horrible. She died a DECADE ago in real world time and the plot still constantly comes back to her. It's morbidly fascinating.
abadidea
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:20 am

Seraphina126 wrote:Oh Vaelia. You're almost too naive for someone who survived what could be perceived as hell for others of your race deep down there in the Underdark. I had expected her to be at least a tad more cynical after serving years as a gladiator to what non-Drow races must perceive as barbaric and chaotic beings such as the Drow are.

Especially ironic to see a non-Drow character perceive the Drow as "good" while Kern based Drowtales of the Drow from Dungeons and Dragons lore, in which they are clearly described as chaotic and unpopular beings tending towards the more evil side of the moral scale.

Give Ariel a couple of centuries to gain some real experience in life and she may just as well turn into a more cynical version of Quain'tana. And god damn, does she need some real life smacking her in the face.

Well, to begin with this isn't D&D. While the prologue does indicated that drow are generally viewed negatively, we know Haltonriebe has had trade relations for a long time, and Kyo's discussion with some traders indicates that the stronger anti-elf sentiment going around is something of a recent development.

Plus, Vaelia isn't saying all drow are good, she is saying that Ariel is good, and she has every reason to believe that.
- I mean, it is overly optimistic to assume that because Ariel is a good person, that she will be able to accomplish good as a leader, but she knows Ariel is certainly going to try to use her power well.

And yeah, Vaelia was a slave gladiator. Then she was freed, allowed to join an elite unit, won the acceptance and friendship of many of her squadmates, has a drow take care of her kids, established good relations between the drow and her homeland, and became a community leader respected by both drow and emberi. And fairy come to think of it. Her life has been on the up and up for a while now, so I can easily see her being on the optimistic side.

As for Ariel - she had an abusive childhood and was near suicide, has fought on the frontlines of a brutal war, was mutilated after being betrayed by a close friend, and had to flee her home as her former comrades murdered her grandmother and little brother...I am not sure how much more "real life" can be shoved in her face.

Cynicism isn't inevitable. Plenty of people live long lives full of hardship and still hope for a better future, and sometimes people even stop being cynical and become more idealistic and/optimistic. Actually, Ariel herself is like this - she got really bitter and cynical as a kid, but her connections and her experiences since then have shaped her into the person she is today.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Previous

Return to Moonless Age