Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 51 : page 27

Re: Chapter 51 : page 27

Postby The14th » Wed May 03, 2017 6:49 am

I dig the last panel, the little locusts are an odd mix of cute and cool.
The14th
Tainted

Clan: Sarghress

Postby wolfdancer95 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:56 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:"13 years of service is a long time to us" I think in the Roman legions soldiers generally served for 20 years, if not more, and with Spartans it was until you were 60. Admittedly, those were very much the outliers, so yeah I can definitely see her wanting out of it, even if she is still in her early thirties.

Interestingly, this dialogue also implies Vaelia was already retired when she went on the Dari'yako mission. Guess they pulled her out of retirement for one last job.
Quite the action movie star she has become. 8P

Ok, looks like freeing slaves did become a Sarghress policy. Must have been relatively recently given the whole fight Ariel had with Turgi. Hopefully Ariel can do more to free slaves in the future.

Kenro never heard that his mother was slave before now? Huh, wonder how much he does know about his mom's life.

Peace - probably too much to hope for. It is hard to imagine there won't be all kinds of fights for all kinds of reasons. But hopefully there can be co-exist at least. I have to admit as a historian the outcome doesn't look bright in the long run. Also in Space Age drowworld humans are cheap labor living in crappy reservations sooo.......

But yeah, karma is paying off well for Vaelia!

evilmike wrote:And if he was a real toddler, he would try and eat that fairy...:)

I had that thought as well. :P

And look, Oktarya is making a run for the fairy too!

I'm wondering how long Emberi live for, and goblins for that matter. It might be that she's retiring from the field for good so she can act as a bridge between the Emberi and the Drow fulltime as well as be able to spend more time with her children.

It's possible that Veil never told her son her past because she would have to tell him how she became a slave in the first place and while she feels comfortable to retire she might free her karma debt is payed. I'm assuming she still feels shame over her actions. Though I'm surprised that Kenro doesn't know about Ariel at all, since he's hostile even knowing her name.

For the slaves, I'm thinking in the last yea or so in retaliation to the sharen taking commoner slaves and because Veil said '15 years' and a year is such a little time frame that it makes sense that some drow are still thinking of taking slaves.

Also I want to say that this page means a lot to me and I nearly cried because Ariel was just a kid herself when Kel made that light fairy for her and she thought it was real and now Pelan and her get to see real ones and it just shows that Pelan and Octayra are going to have such a different childhood to Ariel and god I'm just so happy but goddamnit Snad is going to fuck everything up
wolfdancer95
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:03 am

Pitdragon wrote:
Junglefowl26 wrote:Ok, looks like freeing slaves did become a Sarghress policy. Must have been relatively recently given the whole fight Ariel had with Turgi. Hopefully Ariel can do more to free slaves in the future.

Might be more of a colony thing. Especially if they're contrasting things like Dari'yako, where people were sent to after being enslaved or indentured. I could see Sarghress of the colonies going against those notions on principle, and with people like Vaelia assisting as she's had over the years, extending that to goblinoids wouldn't be a far fetched notion. Ariel just asking for Vaelia to have her place opened the doors for consideration.

Good point.

Plus, in general I can see it as a combination of freeing slaves in general as a military tactics combined with Sarghress "everyone has a chance to prove themselves" ideology slowly but surely resulting in a growth of anti-slavery feelings in the clan, if not universal ones. From what I understand, that was a big part of the turn against slavery in the real world as well.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby vernes » Wed May 03, 2017 7:36 am

James Rye wrote:10 bucks on Vaelia's dream getting crushed whenever it is by drows or humans or both. It sounds great and sane but the world won't work so kindly, there are plenty of people in power (or on their way to grasp it) both in the underworld and above who wanna keep the status quo or rather see it change to their advantage. And Vaelia's version of co-existence is threatening that.

I wonder howmany locust fae it takes to take down one drow.
*passes his gaze over the rows and rows of hives build in the village*
vernes
Summoner

Postby Kardwill » Wed May 03, 2017 9:28 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:"13 years of service is a long time to us" I think in the Roman legions soldiers generally served for 20 years, if not more, and with Spartans it was until you were 60. Admittedly, those were very much the outliers, so yeah I can definitely see her wanting out of it, even if she is still in her early thirties.

I always thought Vaelia was a twenty-something (25?) when she left the arena. She looked experienced and emotionally mature enough for this.

Add to this her time as Ariel's bodyguard, and 13 years as a raider, and that would put her in the late thirties / early forties bracket. Not a bad time to retire from adventure and fighting, and settle down, especially with a second child coming.
Kardwill
Summoner

Postby SFI » Wed May 03, 2017 11:03 am

Kardwill wrote:

I always thought Vaelia was a twenty-something (25?) when she left the arena. She looked experienced and emotionally mature enough for this.

Add to this her time as Ariel's bodyguard, and 13 years as a raider, and that would put her in the late thirties / early forties bracket. Not a bad time to retire from adventure and fighting, and settle down, especially with a second child coming.

Her Post-timeskip Concept indicated she was 18 when Ariel got her from the Arena. So she's 33 now.
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Tainted Messiah » Wed May 03, 2017 3:45 pm

To steal a bit of a line from my children's current favorite movie...

If they start to hold hands and sing... I am going to throw up. :[ XD

Joking aside I am a bit curious where this is going as a narrative.. was the last chapter the last big bang and this is mostly just an epilogue chapter to wrap up any/all loose ends? admittedly I forget but this IS the last chapter right?. If that is the case I am unsure that Kern could or even should introduce any drama in the final pages but I admit the Snadya fight while artistically beautiful is now feeling a bit anti-climactic to me if that really was all it took to bring 'the big bad' down but for now will continue to see where this goes.
Tainted Messiah
Demon

Postby SFI » Wed May 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Tainted Messiah wrote:To steal a bit of a line from my children's current favorite movie...

If they start to hold hands and sing... I am going to throw up. :[ XD

Joking aside I am a bit curious where this is going as a narrative.. was the last chapter the last big bang and this is mostly just an epilogue chapter to wrap up any/all loose ends? admittedly I forget but this IS the last chapter right?. If that is the case I am unsure that Kern could or even should introduce any drama in the final pages but I admit the Snadya fight while artistically beautiful is now feeling a bit anti-climactic to me if that really was all it took to bring 'the big bad' down but for now will continue to see where this goes.

Don't worry, this is just a small breather-chapter before 'SHIT GUN GO DOWN, SON' in the next chapter ;)
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby sunhawk » Wed May 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Locus Queen are Fae and live on the surface.

Drow and other elves are Fae and live under ground or secret mana forests. Because to live anywhere else means low mana, weakness, and aging.

The Emberi treat the locus queens as earth spirits. The locus queen have auras. Which means they are also providing some addition to the Machikie mana pool. Machikie isn't a horrible place to live, as far as mana pool goes already.

So does should do just fine at this surface colony. So long as the Emberi and locus queen are kept safe and happy.
sunhawk
Tainted

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Zarannya » Wed May 03, 2017 10:26 pm

Plus, in general I can see it as a combination of freeing slaves in general as a military tactics combined with Sarghress "everyone has a chance to prove themselves" ideology slowly but surely resulting in a growth of anti-slavery feelings in the clan, if not universal ones. From what I understand, that was a big part of the turn against slavery in the real world as well.

There's also the possibility that the only real benefit of having slaves was that they were trade commodities to bring money in to the clan - Chel had a limited amount of resources, after all, and as one of the only clans still going upworld, the Sarghress could easily corner the market and gain more profit. Now that things have shifted in Chel militarily, there might not be as much of a benefit to keeping "goblins" as slaves when they can pick up a weapon and help with the war effort. They've probably lost some of the old trade routes and ties with the other clans during the District War, so slaves simple wouldn't be as worthwhile to go after when they need to concentrate their efforts on the war.

Vaelia proved that the Emberi at least can be useful as more than just slave labor too, especially if they work with a smaller fae to help with the mana-related tasks - it forced the drow apparently to take them more seriously and showed that they can work on a drow's level. She has probably opened a lot of doors, to be honest, but the drow seem more concerned with practicality than sentimentality to me. There's also a strategic value...don't tick off the faster-breeding races who have decided to work together since they're as effective as you are at magic and combat when cooperating and can potentially have a lot more numbers in less time :)
Zarannya
Tainted

Postby sunhawk » Wed May 03, 2017 10:55 pm

Zarannya wrote:

There's also the possibility that the only real benefit of having slaves was that they were trade commodities to bring money in to the clan - Chel had a limited amount of resources, after all, and as one of the only clans still going upworld, the Sarghress could easily corner the market and gain more profit. Now that things have shifted in Chel militarily, there might not be as much of a benefit to keeping "goblins" as slaves when they can pick up a weapon and help with the war effort. They've probably lost some of the old trade routes and ties with the other clans during the District War, so slaves simple wouldn't be as worthwhile to go after when they need to concentrate their efforts on the war.

Vaelia proved that the Emberi at least can be useful as more than just slave labor too, especially if they work with a smaller fae to help with the mana-related tasks - it forced the drow apparently to take them more seriously and showed that they can work on a drow's level. She has probably opened a lot of doors, to be honest, but the drow seem more concerned with practicality than sentimentality to me. There's also a strategic value...don't tick off the faster-breeding races who have decided to work together since they're as effective as you are at magic and combat when cooperating and can potentially have a lot more numbers in less time :)

don't forget the Meat Legion. Goblins have no aura, and thus are immune to demons. Making them the perfect cannon fodder to fight against Sharen.
sunhawk
Tainted

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Previous

Return to Moonless Age