Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 51 : page 27

Chapter 51 : page 27

Postby Kern » Tue May 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Prepare yourself for a wall of text!
Vaelia talk about herself and the last few years as the little faeries emerge from their hives.
Two more pages to go for this chapter. Not much drama, nor fight for this one. But you can expect the next chapter to pick up on the action!
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 51 : page 27

Postby Irae Maeviir » Tue May 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Got to love Pup (sorry, he will always be Pup to me) holding that fae ^.^
Irae Maeviir
Nether Spawn

Location: Watching what's going on from her own pocket dimension

Postby evilmike » Tue May 02, 2017 10:43 pm

And if he was a real toddler, he would try and eat that fairy...:)
evilmike
Summoner

Postby James Rye » Tue May 02, 2017 10:59 pm

10 bucks on Vaelia's dream getting crushed whenever it is by drows or humans or both. It sounds great and sane but the world won't work so kindly, there are plenty of people in power (or on their way to grasp it) both in the underworld and above who wanna keep the status quo or rather see it change to their advantage. And Vaelia's version of co-existence is threatening that.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Wed May 03, 2017 12:12 am

James Rye wrote:10 bucks on Vaelia's dream getting crushed whenever it is by drows or humans or both. It sounds great and sane but the world won't work so kindly, there are plenty of people in power (or on their way to grasp it) both in the underworld and above who wanna keep the status quo or rather see it change to their advantage. And Vaelia's version of co-existence is threatening that.

I think that in the short term this arrangement benefits everybody and threatens nobody. The Overworld is vast, and drow will need a lot of hands. Elves need to stay packed in cities in order to stay young, but humans can spread and work the fields, producing food.

Now, in the far future there will be a competition for resources between fae and non-fae, BUT: We know drow will ravage both the world and themselves sooner or later... for humans, it's a matter of making the best of their time until that happens.

I see it as a cycle of destruction and rebuilding. But for drow, it is something that happens within living memory of grandma, while for humans it something that happened in a far past and will happen again in a far future. They are in between two Apocalypses now, and it's time to build. When drow provoke the next End of the World event humans will have to try to survive, and start rebuilding afterwards. If Vaelia's grandchildren and great-grandchildren can live happy lives, that is success for her; further generations are less of a concern.

evilmike wrote:And if he was a real toddler, he would try and eat that fairy...:)

Remember, he is twice as old as he looks...
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby suntiger745 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:40 am

Oh no, now she jinxed it and something horrible will happen... :O
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:44 am

"13 years of service is a long time to us" I think in the Roman legions soldiers generally served for 20 years, if not more, and with Spartans it was until you were 60. Admittedly, those were very much the outliers, so yeah I can definitely see her wanting out of it, even if she is still in her early thirties.

Interestingly, this dialogue also implies Vaelia was already retired when she went on the Dari'yako mission. Guess they pulled her out of retirement for one last job.
Quite the action movie star she has become. 8P

Ok, looks like freeing slaves did become a Sarghress policy. Must have been relatively recently given the whole fight Ariel had with Turgi. Hopefully Ariel can do more to free slaves in the future.

Kenro never heard that his mother was slave before now? Huh, wonder how much he does know about his mom's life.

Peace - probably too much to hope for. It is hard to imagine there won't be all kinds of fights for all kinds of reasons. But hopefully there can be co-exist at least. I have to admit as a historian the outcome doesn't look bright in the long run. Also in Space Age drowworld humans are cheap labor living in crappy reservations sooo.......

But yeah, karma is paying off well for Vaelia!

evilmike wrote:And if he was a real toddler, he would try and eat that fairy...:)

I had that thought as well. :P

And look, Oktarya is making a run for the fairy too!
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Pitdragon » Wed May 03, 2017 1:07 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:Ok, looks like freeing slaves did become a Sarghress policy. Must have been relatively recently given the whole fight Ariel had with Turgi. Hopefully Ariel can do more to free slaves in the future.

Might be more of a colony thing. Especially if they're contrasting things like Dari'yako, where people were sent to after being enslaved or indentured. I could see Sarghress of the colonies going against those notions on principle, and with people like Vaelia assisting as she's had over the years, extending that to goblinoids wouldn't be a far fetched notion. Ariel just asking for Vaelia to have her place opened the doors for consideration.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby abadidea » Wed May 03, 2017 2:25 am

She needs to give her son the You Don't Know How Good You Have It Talk! :U
abadidea
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Wed May 03, 2017 3:52 am

abadidea wrote:She needs to give her son the You Don't Know How Good You Have It Talk! :U

Vaelia can shut down any argument among a gathering of mothers on how tough they had it ;)

Mother 1: "When I had my baby, I was in labor for over 72 hours!" *oops*
Mother 2: "When I was a child, I had to walk 20 miles to school barefoot in the snow, uphill each way!" :O
Mother 3: "After my husband died, I had to work 6 jobs just to make ends meet!" :@
Vaelia: "I was a gladiator slave." :3
Chorus: "....." *oops* :O :@
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: Hermionne? Doesn't she hang out with that Potter kid?

Postby sunhawk » Wed May 03, 2017 4:06 am

James Rye wrote:10 bucks on Vaelia's dream getting crushed whenever it is by drows or humans or both. It sounds great and sane but the world won't work so kindly, there are plenty of people in power (or on their way to grasp it) both in the underworld and above who wanna keep the status quo or rather see it change to their advantage. And Vaelia's version of co-existence is threatening that.

this is drowtales, of course the happy peaceful state will be crushed by one party being stupid.

anyone being too happy, or anything going too well, is a red flag for suffering to come.
sunhawk
Tainted

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Ichi_Jigoku_Flujo » Wed May 03, 2017 4:48 am

sunhawk wrote:

this is drowtales, of course the happy peaceful state will be crushed by one party being stupid.

anyone being too happy, or anything going too well, is a red flag for suffering to come.

I wouldn't say that, cause here is when change is happening, also Snad finally got her comeuppance or at least a partial check for it for now being a tad physically disabled to a degree. So good can prevail, just may take a while, also that was underground, on the surface that control is not viable here. There will be conflict of course, but there will be less people in control of people, and more on a individual level now.
Ichi_Jigoku_Flujo
Vel'akar

Postby alkaizer87 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:31 am

That;s right Kenro your mom was a slave. Now show some respect to Ariel you jerk.
alkaizer87
Vel'akar

Location: At home with 3 of Vaelia's kids: 1 girl and 2 boys.

Postby IkaikaKekai » Wed May 03, 2017 5:57 am

Fae and Goblin peoples at peace.

And then the Fire Nation, err, Nidrachal came...
IkaikaKekai
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Finski » Wed May 03, 2017 6:36 am

Aaww, earth spirit came to table. Surrounded by giants
To eat rest of the bread XD
Finski
Tainted

Next

Return to Moonless Age