Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 51 : page 26

Re: Chapter 51 : page 26

Postby gd1 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:21 am

All I could see in the second panel of the comic was this:

gd1
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Yserien » Tue May 02, 2017 5:21 am

I don't understand the name. It seems terrible? It has no flow, just.. guttural? How do you picture it even being pronounced?
Yserien
Nether Spawn

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Tue May 02, 2017 6:04 am

Yserien wrote:I don't understand the name. It seems terrible? It has no flow, just.. guttural? How do you picture it even being pronounced?

Oct-AIR-ee-ah if Ariel is pronounced AIR-ee-el, Oc-TAR-ee-ah if pronounced AR-ee-el, I presume? B)
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: Bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the (Mist) Sea
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Whizzard » Tue May 02, 2017 7:02 am

Huh, when they started naming the children, Octavia was the first name i could come up with for Octobear. *ooo*
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby wolfdancer95 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:21 am

Basileus_Ioannis wrote:
Yserien wrote:I don't understand the name. It seems terrible? It has no flow, just.. guttural? How do you picture it even being pronounced?

Oct-AIR-ee-ah if Ariel is pronounced AIR-ee-el, Oc-TAR-ee-ah if pronounced AR-ee-el, I presume? B)

Oct-ai-ra is how I'm doing it

and I recall that Ariel is pronounced the masculine way, R-E-L via kern saying it like that on streams. which makes sense to me since no one commented on her name when she tried to pass for a boy.

EDIT: @ Durlyn I'm assuming from a political standpoint naming the next female heir after a goblin would be akin to naming a prince after the kings favourite dog in the eyes of the drow and would demean her position from the begining as well as Ariels. tho by the looks on their faces it might be because calling her after Vael is the easy way out of naming the baby with little thought put into it.
wolfdancer95
Vel'akar

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Tue May 02, 2017 7:46 am

Whizzard wrote:Huh, when they started naming the children, Octavia was the first name i could come up with for Octobear. *ooo*
Aw, that's close enough for the Horseshoe Award, Whiz B) (unfortunately we had to discontinue the Hand Grenade Award due to complaints from the Pomegranate lobby, sorry *smallsmile* )
wolfdancer95 wrote:Oct-ai-ra is how I'm doing it

and I recall that Ariel is pronounced the masculine way, R-E-L via kern saying it like that on streams. which makes sense to me since no one commented on her name when she tried to pass for a boy.
Sounds good to me :) And are you sure you don't mean Oct-ar-ia then, since the R is before the Y?
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Postby Whizzard » Tue May 02, 2017 9:33 am

Basileus_Ioannis wrote:
Whizzard wrote:Huh, when they started naming the children, Octavia was the first name i could come up with for Octobear. *ooo*
Aw, that's close enough for the Horseshoe Award, Whiz B) (unfortunately we had to discontinue the Hand Grenade Award due to complaints from the Pomegranate lobby, sorry *smallsmile* )

Huh??? What's a horseshoe award? And hand grenade award? :V
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Tue May 02, 2017 12:35 pm

Whizzard wrote:
Basileus_Ioannis wrote:

The old saying "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."

So she's named Octarya. Interesting. Upon sounding it out, I would have thought "A Rain Fell" (Araen Fa'el) would have served well as a warrior's name.

Let's see how much respect the name Octarya earns our little bundle of cuteness.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Postby punzil504 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:11 pm

wolfdancer95 wrote:EDIT: @ Durlyn I'm assuming from a political standpoint naming the next female heir after a goblin would be akin to naming a prince after the kings favourite dog in the eyes of the drow and would demean her position from the begining as well as Ariels. tho by the looks on their faces it might be because calling her after Vael is the easy way out of naming the baby with little thought put into it.

We named the dog Indiana... :D
punzil504
Summoner

Postby Gunbird » Tue May 02, 2017 11:28 pm

gd1 wrote:All I could see in the second panel of the comic was this:

Might make more since if you posted a video instead.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Wed May 03, 2017 3:03 am

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:
Whizzard wrote:
Basileus_Ioannis wrote:Aw, that's close enough for the Horseshoe Award, Whiz B) (unfortunately we had to discontinue the Hand Grenade Award due to complaints from the Pomegranate lobby, sorry *smallsmile* )
The old saying "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."
And Octavia is pretty darn close, hence horshoes fit :) (btw Whiz, it comes from the game of that name, hence being close is the objective ;) )
SzordrinZaphresz wrote:So she's named Octarya. Interesting. Upon sounding it out, I would have thought "A Rain Fell" (Araen Fa'el) would have served well as a warrior's name.

Let's see how much respect the name Octarya earns our little bundle of cuteness.
Araen Fa'el would have been a sweet name as well B) Or using Vaelia's logic, and since neither Ariel nor Faen's names end in 'a', Octarien (oct-AR-een) might have been a contendah? :3
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Previous

Return to Moonless Age