Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 51 : page 25

Re: Chapter 51 : page 25

Postby Black Knight LeFreux » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:24 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:
Basileus_Ioannis wrote:Yeah, since the beginning of chapter 50, Ariel's been dropping hints that she knows Quain is her grandma and not mother

And I remember Pelan from a livestream, it's from some fantasy language meaning 'wolf', right?

Looking it up, apparently it is a real name - shows up in Ireland, France, and Eastern Europe.

To be frank, I'm french and I never met anyone called Pelan. I guess it belongs to the category of names so out of fashion it disappeared. Kinda like Chilperic, or Hugues.
Black Knight LeFreux
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Whizzard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:07 am

People tend not to give old people's names to their children. Because well, they make the child sound old. However, it's quite noticable that the "old people's names" make a comeback once those old people die off.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Moatl » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:18 am

In the 5th panel »Gha!« means »I heard and understood you! And I will remind this insult for ever!«. :D
Moatl
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby riflow » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:13 am

Oh my god i need as many Grammy Vaelia interactions with pup as possible.

Also goddamn this is so precious. ;;
riflow
Summoner

Postby Black Knight LeFreux » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:34 am

That angry look on Pelan's face in the last panel...

"- From this day, I am Pelan, and there's nothing on this wretched planet that can stop me now !"
Black Knight LeFreux
Vel'akar

Postby Sagdocale » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:44 am

Ariel Val'Sarghress and her sister Faiel Val'Sarghress, it's so cute! :3
And Penal is better, than Pup, I am pleased for boy.
Sagdocale
Nether Seed

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Finn MacCool » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:01 pm

Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Faiel as a first name is a bad choice, as it sounds too much like "FAIL." As a middle or last name with an apostrophe, it might just work, and Araen (Ah-Rah-En) is an elven warrior's name. Even (Air-Ah-En) works.

I suppose Araen Fa'el Val Sarghress would fit little Octobear nicely in a Araen, Fae of god, manner.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby James Rye » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Araen sounds like a cool Drow name.

I wonder how long it will take till Ariel is crowed Val'Illharess of the Sargs and if they gonna do that in Chel or outside of Chel.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:
Basileus_Ioannis wrote:I remember Pelan from a livestream, it's from some fantasy language meaning 'wolf', right?
Looking it up, apparently it is a real name - shows up in Ireland, France, and Eastern Europe.
Ah thanks, and the root of Phelan (Ó Faoláin) apparently means wolf in Irish, so I guess it's not a fantasy language after all! :D
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: Bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the (Mist) Sea

Postby Finski » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:41 pm

Vaelia is like, 38 years now?

Naming Octobear as Vaelia would be pretty honorific for her.
Vaelia/Ariel as sisters rhythms well to me. As did Vene / Pelan
Finski
Tainted

Postby Zarannya » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Exastiken wrote:Ariel accepted that she is Quain's granddaughter, and not her daughter. Did she ever acknowledge that before?

She has known since the last chapter 32 that Mel is her real mother, bit by that time she had been introduced as Quaint's daughter to the rest of the clan and everyone else, so they kept up the pretense. There is also the fact that Pup, Vene and Octobear were secrets until the later chapter when the Sarghress imploded. Ariel knew Quain was her grandmother but was trying to keep up appearances for the sake of the clan and to avoid awkward questions about her birth if I recall...now that Quaint is dead and the truth about the kids'existence is out in the open, there isn't much point hiding it, at least from someone she trusts as much as Vaelia.

Though technically Quaint did adopt her as heir one way or another, so the rest of the clan might also just see it as her being Quain's daughter as much as Koil'dorath is by virtue of her being Quain's chosen heir. If that makes sense?
Zarannya
Tainted

Postby suntiger745 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:54 pm

It's very interesting to see the contrast between them. Vaelia is just three years older than Ariel if I recall correctly, but she has already raised a son to the age of a teenager and have Esuni as well, while Ariel and Faen have just begun to raise their first children*.
I don't think they are doing too bad of a job raising the kids, and this moment of levity is good for them and will hopefully be a comforting memory in the future, but Vaelia's maturity does come to the forefront.
When not given much of a straight answer about drow naming conventions, she simply asks Pup what he'd like his name to be, and suggests one when he sort of makes one up (while being grabbed by Ariel's hair :P).
Once again showing she's one of the best mothers/mentors in the comic. :)
In som ways she strikes me as similar to Quill'yate, though maybe a bit more serious. Would be really interesting to see what Quill is like as a parent rather than as a commander of troops (which we know she's good at).

*True, Ariel and Faen both have had the potential to become mothers for a while, but even if they had given birth at the same time as Vaelia their children would still be noticeably younger physically and probably a bit less mature than Kenro even if they would be a bit more in sync mentally.

Edit: There's also a character in 'The deeds of Paksenarrion', a duke, that is named Kieri Phelan. Many of the names in that book struck me as vaguely irish/gaelic. I guess they were. :P
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Finski wrote:Vaelia is like, 38 years now?

Naming Octobear as Vaelia would be pretty honorific for her.
Vaelia/Ariel as sisters rhythms well to me. As did Vene / Pelan

Naming her Vaelia would be sweet. I suspected something like that since they met Kenro....

But Octavia would allow the baby to be knicknamed Octobear. The problem is, that name doesn't sound like any other name we know about in the Drowverse... long but without an apostrophe... it would have to be Octah'vih'a or something like that...
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby alkaizer87 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:48 am

Durlyn Val'Sarghress wrote:YAY! NAMES FOR THE BABIES!!! And Pup is named first, Pelan Val'Sarghress! Now we gotta focus on Octobear....Hhhhmmm...I suggest Octavia Val'Sarghress, tis a pretty but powerful sounding name *heehee*

I whole hardily agree on this name. really nice one.

EDIT: Phelan is Irish? Awesome XD I'm part Irish so I think that's cool to learn.
alkaizer87
Vel'akar

Location: At home with 3 of Vaelia's kids: 1 girl and 2 boys.

PreviousNext

Return to Moonless Age