Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 51 : 16th anniversary

Re: Chapter 51 : 16th anniversary

Postby punzil504 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Syphille was a Sarghress version of Shinae.
punzil504
Summoner

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Mizu » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:22 pm

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:
Irae Maeviir wrote:I still can only feel sorry for Syphile. Sure, she is not exactly a nice person, but she was mostly right about the reasons her life was miserable. Parents dead, Quain'tana's high expectations for her (she was chosen as a heir to the clan only because of the respect Quain'tana had for her parents) , Ariel getting the title of heir because Quain'tana didn't like tainted ones.

She was the Sarghress that better embodied what being a Val was, she obviously didn't fit in that clan but it wasn't her fault after all.

Hate to correct you, but yeah, it was. She chose to get herself tainted (which we all learn reduced her lifespan to the next 50 years, tops, and was even primed to blow during the "duel" with Quain.) She chose to make Ariel her enemy, by abuse, rather than take advantage of the very unique opportunity Quain gave her to influence the next potential heir to her side. She chose to lock Ariel and Fuzzy in a room for a week, without food water, or a ltter box, and then brutally killed the poor helpless animal by bashing its skull into a wall, and threatening to do the same to Ariel for being upset about it.

Let's not forget how she attacked Ariel at the top of the stairs over Quain's war council, trying to bleed Ariel dry, and when that didn't work, started opening a nether portal, again, right on top of said war council, IN SESSION.

Yeah, she happily sowed the seeds of her own destruction, and then had the gall to be shocked and outraged that it came back to bite her.

Sorry. Don't pity her one bit. She got off easy with Quain's mercy kill. If Chel was fair, Quain would have clubbed her to death with a mace

She didn't, as I recall Quain demanded she take a class that required the student to become tainted (which Quain didn't know because of a lack of research on her part) and got pissed when she came back tainted thanks to following the order.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Girthquake » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:27 pm

May there be many more years to come. I have followed this comic for fourteen years and I can't wait for fourteen more.
Girthquake
Tik'tikki

Clan: Sarghress

Postby abadidea » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:43 pm

been reading longer than my forum account's creation stamp ... VERY vaguely recall I think since the arena chapter, which was 2007... so that's a decade for me. Kampai! (I don't actually drink, but it's the spirit (heh) of the thing) I consider Drowtales one of my major creative influences.
abadidea
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Hellsion » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:07 pm

On Sylphee, It was all a series of unfortunate events and bad decisions on her part.

She did regret what she did on some level but it was more of "woe is me what else could I have done? "

Also her support system was garbage so how else would it have turned out?
Hellsion
Vel'akar

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Qwalnee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:20 pm

16 years! *omfg* Congratulations to all, and big thanks to Kern, Kite, and the whole DT team for their patience.

I discovered DT only in last days of 2016 (pathetic newbee by your standarts, check my forum account age), but I promise I will stay for the next 16 years ;)
Qwalnee
Nether Seed

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Nowhere Girl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:24 pm

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:Yeah, she happily sowed the seeds of her own destruction, and then had the gall to be shocked and outraged that it came back to bite her.

Sorry. Don't pity her one bit. She got off easy with Quain's mercy kill. If Chel was fair, Quain would have clubbed her to death with a mace

In the same unfair, stacked circumstances, I guarantee you would have fared no better and quite possibly worse.
Nowhere Girl
Summoner

Postby Smokehammer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Well, I give mad props to Syphile for actually leaving the Sarghress and trying to make something of her life else where. How she choose to do that was... sketchy but hey, atleast she tried. No wait, she didnt leave she was booted. That's my real issue with most of these characters. If where youre at sucks so much, dude just run away. And yeah, being a member of Quain's family was so bad that being an orphan was actually the better option -and it wouldve been survivable because hey -Quain did it. These people stay right where they are because something about whats been given to them is alluring. To Syph, it was being Val which is hardly a noble reason and thats why she fits into the "bad guy" category.

Also -
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DROWTALES!!!
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby katrover » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:01 pm

What does that dream mean? Why Octobear? Or am I reading too much into things?
katrover
Tainted

Postby Moatl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 pm

I was surprised at some point, to see Syphile, again, after all those years, today.
But I wasn't unhappy, after all. Her »problems« had much affect on the first chapters after all (unwritten chapters or not unwritten).
And the »punch« is funny, somehow. :D

To be honest, I don't know how long I read DT regularly.
All I know is, that I read it first between August 2001 and March 2002 the very first chapter was in its below 10 pages or so, back then. To be honest: The first pages of the very first chapter were very »rogh« compared to today's pages, back then. So I paused some weeks or months until I returned, again and stayed. I read some other Drow-related web-comic, back then. I don't remember the name of this comic, but »Hevia« was the author (this comic didn't survived the second or third chapter, or so…)
And I know that I sent my first 5 $ via snail mail for DD between August and November 2002.
So, for me it's at least 15 years as well, I'm getting old… ^^;

BUT…
And I can't remember Ariel to be barefooted in any of the first chapters (rewritten or not). :P

It's just a one of Ariel's nightmares, after all.
Moatl
Vel'akar

Postby Moatl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:13 pm

katrover wrote:What does that dream mean? Why Octobear? Or am I reading too much into things?

»The Baby« (she still has no official name, yet) first showed up in the »News« section as a character created by Lunareth and Kern approx. two years ago as »Octobear«. Just follow the link in my post above.
Moatl
Vel'akar

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Happy 16th Anniversary Drowtales! Thanks for all the years of fantasy fun *wee*, and congrats to Ariel and her new family too, they beat the odds and will continue to do so! *bigsmile*
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Irae Maeviir » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:46 pm

That's not Vene. It's Octobear (aka. The Baby).

Darn, I am not good seeing those details :(
It would have been so sweet if Vene and Syphile would have met in the afterlife for a happy ending, but we all know he is with Shala in drow Valhalla...
Irae Maeviir
Tainted

Location: Watching what's going on from her own pocket dimension

Postby Finski » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:59 pm

katrover wrote:What does that dream mean? Why Octobear? Or am I reading too much into things?

Dreams can be wierd, and they can have resurfacing people in them who have been dead for years. And dreamer can be doing positive or having good time with person, whom he/she had strong association with in past.

Ariel has strong association with Fuzzy and Syphile. Thats it, albeit Syphile has negative vibe.
And Kern just wanted to give last good memory of Syphile, RIP. since 2009.
Finski
Tainted

Postby Irae Maeviir » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:01 pm

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:
Irae Maeviir wrote:I still can only feel sorry for Syphile. Sure, she is not exactly a nice person, but she was mostly right about the reasons her life was miserable. Parents dead, Quain'tana's high expectations for her (she was chosen as a heir to the clan only because of the respect Quain'tana had for her parents) , Ariel getting the title of heir because Quain'tana didn't like tainted ones.

She was the Sarghress that better embodied what being a Val was, she obviously didn't fit in that clan but it wasn't her fault after all.

Hate to correct you, but yeah, it was. She chose to get herself tainted (which we all learn reduced her lifespan to the next 50 years, tops, and was even primed to blow during the "duel" with Quain.) She chose to make Ariel her enemy, by abuse, rather than take advantage of the very unique opportunity Quain gave her to influence the next potential heir to her side. She chose to lock Ariel and Fuzzy in a room for a week, without food water, or a ltter box, and then brutally killed the poor helpless animal by bashing its skull into a wall, and threatening to do the same to Ariel for being upset about it.

Let's not forget how she attacked Ariel at the top of the stairs over Quain's war council, trying to bleed Ariel dry, and when that didn't work, started opening a nether portal, again, right on top of said war council, IN SESSION.

Yeah, she happily sowed the seeds of her own destruction, and then had the gall to be shocked and outraged that it came back to bite her.

Sure, she did all of those things, but all of it comes down from Quain'tana dropping her from the heir position. She sent her to learn summoning in the academy and in order to do that she had to become tainted. Snadhya'rune is to blame for that too, but it's not like she was the first summoner to be tainted in the academy. Quain'tana should have known what becoming a summoner entailed before demanding her to become one.

At the time Syphile became tainted everybody thought that tainting was safe and the only protection against becoming demon chow when summoning demons. We know that was a lie, but the drow didnt. The only reason she hated her was because the Vel'Sharen were tainted too. She saw Syphile as nothing more than a Vel, rather than what she was, her heir.
Irae Maeviir
Tainted

Location: Watching what's going on from her own pocket dimension

PreviousNext

Return to Moonless Age