Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Moonless Age: Chapter 36: Civil War 10

Re: Moonless Age: Chapter 36: Civil War 10

Postby AthenAltena » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Bwahaha! I can't get over Nau's face in the first panel. It's the textbook definition of "What the fuck?"

And really Craft, not even a chiburi to get the excess blood off your sword? Bad form, man. I kind of hope his sword gets stuck in the scabbard because of that.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby blackjack217 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:27 pm

Raziel wrote:
Tsuris wrote:Yep, no respect for Fanatics

I miss the Craft that was dating Naal! *crying*

I never agreed with that paring to begin with, there is no way a person from a fanatical sect like him would actually fall for a tainted. Lest not without him being tainted too. *upset*

The Duskan's always seemed saner then the Kyrol's, which is not admittedly a difficult accomplishment. And the SM Craft Dating Naal is great.
blackjack217
Demon

Postby Jiharn » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:44 pm

...huh. I didn't expect this thread to turn out useful. Thanks for the page, Mek; how'd you get ahold of it?

Argron wrote:Their objective is not to roam behind enemy lines capturing people, it is to destroy that listening tower. They decided to destroy the golem as an additional objective, which is quite risky and could endanger both their mission and their lives, any more than that and it's plain crazy, they clearly don't have the manpower to be capturing high ranking enemies or dragging an unwilling prisoners in their escape. From the military perspective of their mission, the golem pilot had to die, extracting information would have been helpful but not really necessary, IMO Chrystel was going to kill her anyway.
It's extremely unlikely they will capture anyone, but highly likely they will need to fight or escape, and in both situations, in particular the second, the duskian would have been handy.
So, Craft was dumb, alieanating himself from his allies even though he was going to achieve his objectives if he waited, and Nau showed non-existant leadership skills, sending away a valuable ally when he could have just reached an agreement.

I think their behavior is better understood if we assume the Duskians are really pissed off with the vel'Sharen right now (foreigners came and suddenly they have civil war, peasant uprisings, tainted running the show and demon summoning in what was months ago a peaceful, prosperous, demon-free city), while Nau is under extreme pressure knowing his whole clan are traitors, he needs to be a traitor to the traitors, and is going to die a horrible death regardless of what he does.

To be fair, the uprisings began before the Vel'Sharen arrived, and the Sharen stuck to the rules the Duskians put out; being pissed off with them particularly would be pretty mis-targeted.

Chrys's order wasn't exactly a demanding one, either. "Hey, don't jump the gun; we can get a bit more" isn't the same tenor as "You must do exactly what I say," yet Craft seemed to interpret it as the latter. Seems a bit like he's being difficult just for the sake of showing that he can be difficult, when if he learned moderation (heheh) he might see better ways to accomplish his long-term goals.
Nau's telling him off may have been cathartic, but I agree with Argron that it cemented a division. I'm also of the opinion that it (unintentionally) subverted Chrys's authority: he interrupted her while she was trying (calmly) to get back control of things, and he gave the instruction to leave instead of letting Chrys decide what to do for her expedition. Even if she was just about to say the exact same thing, anyone else who had not been with them enough would not see his opinions and authority as a legitimate extension of hers.
Incidentally, I found Chrys's advice to Nau near the end quite interesting. "Use his code [...] against him." If anyone remembers, that's exactly what she did the first time they encountered the Duskians. She recognized how much emphasis they put on rules and law, and pointed out to them that because the Sharen had not violated any laws the Duskians' own adherence to those laws obliged them to treat the Sharen with respect instead of threats.

I'm not sure how bad it is for Craft to leave, though; on the one hand, he's another strong sword-hand when they have very few numbers. But on the other hand, his refusal to recognize the chains of command means he may ignore the directions and plans everyone else is working with and he'll go do is own thing at a critical moment. On the balance of things...mmm, considering their numbers, and how they need to be killing enemies anyways...I'd say it's a slight loss. But not a mission-breaking one.

Speaking of the mission, I think the golem isn't being regarded as a side objective but as a roadblock to the main objective. That is, their interpretation of the area is that they would be unable to destroy the tower with the golem operational.
Jiharn
Vel'akar

Postby Kran » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Raziel wrote:I KNEW IT, I knew it was the Duskian who did it. You can never trust fanatical bastards like them to work well in a group! *upset*
Wonder if Quintana's having the same trouble if she's allied with the Kyol? *hmmm*

Remember back in Chapter 13 Crossroads? On Page 25 it shows how rocky and odd of an relationship they have between each other.
blackjack217 wrote:The Duskan's always seemed saner then the Kyrol's, which is not admittedly a difficult accomplishment. And the SM Craft Dating Naal is great.

The Duskian will argue with reason or ignore you. While the Kyrols will think you are corrupted and need to be re-educated (brainwashed) to their logic.
Kran
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Kalegion » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:09 pm

A page ending in ellipsis.
Never a good sign.
Kalegion
Demon

Postby Jiharn » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Kalegion wrote:A page ending in ellipsis.
Never a good sign.

Oh, I thought it just meant we were going to skip ahead, and we'd only find out what her suggestion was because they're busy doing it.

Hmmm...come to think of it, if that my interpretation is correct, then this would be a good place to drop off "until next time". Yeah, I'm gonna make that guess! Last page of first arc for this thing.
Jiharn
Vel'akar

Postby Finn MacCool » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:30 pm

Never a good sign.

i say the next word is "nothing".^^

@Jiharn:
according to this news post, the first part of "civil war" is scheduled to end on DT's 11th birthday, i.e. in 10 days (iirc).
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Jiharn » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Finn MacCool wrote:
Never a good sign.

i say the next word is "nothing".^^

@Jiharn:
according to this news post, the first part of "civil war" is scheduled to end on DT's 11th birthday, i.e. in 10 days (iirc).

Ok, everyone, you heard it here first! I am wrong!
Jiharn
Vel'akar

Postby Argron » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:14 pm

Kran wrote:
blackjack217 wrote:The Duskan's always seemed saner then the Kyrol's, which is not admittedly a difficult accomplishment. And the SM Craft Dating Naal is great.

The Duskian will argue with reason or ignore you. While the Kyrols will think you are corrupted and need to be re-educated (brainwashed) to their logic.

blackjack217 wrote:
Raziel wrote:
Tsuris wrote:Yep, no respect for Fanatics

I miss the Craft that was dating Naal! *crying*

I never agreed with that paring to begin with, there is no way a person from a fanatical sect like him would actually fall for a tainted. Lest not without him being tainted too. *upset*

The Duskan's always seemed saner then the Kyrol's, which is not admittedly a difficult accomplishment. And the SM Craft Dating Naal is great.

Some Kyorl orders are more extreme than the Duskians because Chel is a hellhole with whole clans openly using nether summoning to accomplish their military goals, including opening nether gates in civilian neighborhoods, as well as forced tainting. The fact they are open to sit with the Sharen and Vloz to discuss, and are actually cordial towards the Sharen (they have Kyorls in the Sharen fortress, even if they are treated as pariahs, and Shimi was willing to listen to Zalaess until she was openly asking the clans to declare war on the Sarghress or else) speaks volumes.
Argron
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby BlackFulcrum » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Looks like our Duskian friend is taking the renegade path, gotta love those Renegade Interrupts, less talk more killing.
BlackFulcrum
Summoner

Postby Jiharn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:05 am

Argron wrote:Some Kyorl orders are more extreme than the Duskians because Chel is a hellhole with whole clans openly using nether summoning to accomplish their military goals, including opening nether gates in civilian neighborhoods, as well as forced tainting.

Technically, doesn't that just give a cause for the craziness, as opposed to saying they aren't crazy?
And given what the Kyorl have attempted before, and would probably try again if they thought they could pull it off, I got the feeling that Shimi was "willing" to sit with the Vloz in council only because she had to sit there. While there are several things that point to Shimi being fairly moderate (for a Kyorl), I don't think that's one of them.
Jiharn
Vel'akar

Postby Kin'Eere » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:35 am

AthenAltena wrote:And really Craft, not even a chiburi to get the excess blood off your sword? Bad form, man. I kind of hope his sword gets stuck in the scabbard because of that.

I noticed that as well... though its not so much that the sword is going to get stuck in the scabbard as it is that putting your sword away while it is wet with blood is a sure fire way to cause it to rust REALLY fast... which in turn has a chance to cause it to get stuck in the scabbard... so all told either way he is in serious trouble there. Especially if he intends to continue fighting the tainted. Unless of course he has a high sorcery or something that protects his sword from rusting :V
Kin'Eere
Demon

Postby alkaizer87 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:51 am

Tsuris wrote:Inconsistent sword shape is inconsistent

And this is my reaction to the artist. " WTF?! Make up your mind! First you make it look like a diamond shape like blade from the lighting in the last page's 2nd panel, and and then a different shape the last panel, and now it looks like a one bladed Katana?! WTF?! Make up your mind!" It's no wonder I guessed it wrong because of the inconsistent shaped sword.
alkaizer87
Vel'akar

Location: At home with 3 of Vaelia's kids: 1 girl and 2 boys.

Postby Tsuris » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:09 am

Kin'Eere wrote: Unless of course he has a high sorcery or something that protects his sword from rusting :V

Something in a Manga/Fantasy Comic doesn't make sense

MAGIC

Everything is explained
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby alkaizer87 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:27 am

Tsuris wrote:
Kin'Eere wrote: Unless of course he has a high sorcery or something that protects his sword from rusting :V

Something in a Manga/Fantasy Comic doesn't make sense

MAGIC

Everything is explained

Yes magic is magic, no other explanation needed XD
alkaizer87
Vel'akar

Location: At home with 3 of Vaelia's kids: 1 girl and 2 boys.

PreviousNext

Return to Moonless Age