Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 102

Chapter 54 : page 102

Postby Kern » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:03 am

Ash threats only strengthen the will of her kin to stab her in the neck. Far below, Chiri stand stunned by something she alone witness.
To be fair everyone is getting stabbed , especially clan leader. it's a miracle Ash had survived this long and its only because she became a hermit. can't trip down staircase if you don,t use staircase. Smart Ash. Except well it pissed off a lot of people. Its Snad political party after all "lets kill those damn immortals parents of ours". Very popular with kids nowadays. :U
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 102

Postby Ardan Styyx » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:13 am

Getting rid of the old generation is becoming an old song here, and by the way, if Snad is eventually successful, she should be worry about her own fate... In one or two generations max, there will be other young wannabes ready to happily kill the goddam Second Generation as well, unless the drow can find another way to live their very long life and give a future to their descendants. With Snad in command, I doubt that... *hmmm*

Ash attitude is definitely not helping there. With a knife on her throat, she could show or fake contrition but I guess she is beyond that stage now, too old, too encrusted in her mix of pride, prejudice and paranoïa to change. A pity. Bae taking so much time to kill her instead of swiftly getting rid of the "old hag" is probably a sign of inner conflict though. Let's hope Faen will be able / finally decide to act and save the two of them. Not that I really like any of them, but this is a unique occasion to break the killing cycle and solve a (real) problem in a different way. :S

As for Chiri... I am not sure: is she witnessing / foreseeing the Sul's drama scene or is it something else? I'd tend to believe the first is right, but Kern's comment made me doubt.
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Ichi_Jigoku_Flujo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:14 am

Seeing how half of the tower isn't a vegetable now, I'd wager it being not be as bad as it looks or we see murder bear again.
Ichi_Jigoku_Flujo
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Irae Maeviir » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:39 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but... Why would any Sul try to kill Ash'waren? I mean, aside from the obvious "I will take over".

Banana Girl is claiming Ash'waren became a MORE of a dead weight than she was before, by those words we can think that being a dead weight is what motivated the betrayal of the other Suls. Which makes no sense to me. The Suls were obviously on the losing side of a power struggle with the Sharen. Then come the Sarghress, and Ash'waren quickly uses the opportunity to ally with them and thus cement the Suls position of power. Correct?

If so, then she is definitely NOT a dead weight. Sure the Suls used to be way more powerful and wealthy but you can't really expect the Matron to actually be the only one keeping the clan afloat. Granted Ash'waren is not the nicest of mothers, but considering what we have seen, I'd take indifference over constant beatings.

It is also no wonder Banana Girl finds a motherkiller bitch to be better than Ash'waren considering they have motherkilling tendencies...

But the question is, why would half of Ash'waren family want her death? It's just... don't they see that she is basically the greatest asset the entire clan has? Her death won't make the Suls stronger again, it will weaken them. If it had happened way before when Quain was still alive, it might have likely broken the alliance between both clans. And nowadays it will just make the Suls into Sharen lapdogs.

The only reason I see is that defying the Sharen has cost the Suls a lot, specially with the district war and all that. I can get some of them want to keep living surrounded by luxurious rooms and slaves, and that they blame Ash'waren for the economic shortcomings of the clan. Still... I think this is more an example of Chronic Backstabbing Disorder, killing the one on top because she is the one on top.
Irae Maeviir
Tainted

Location: Watching what's going on from her own pocket dimension

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:02 am

Irae Maeviir wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but... Why would any Sul try to kill Ash'waren? I mean, aside from the obvious "I will take over".

Banana Girl is claiming Ash'waren became a MORE of a dead weight than she was before, by those words we can think that being a dead weight is what motivated the betrayal of the other Suls. Which makes no sense to me. The Suls were obviously on the losing side of a power struggle with the Sharen. Then come the Sarghress, and Ash'waren quickly uses the opportunity to ally with them and thus cement the Suls position of power. Correct?

If so, then she is definitely NOT a dead weight. Sure the Suls used to be way more powerful and wealthy but you can't really expect the Matron to actually be the only one keeping the clan afloat. Granted Ash'waren is not the nicest of mothers, but considering what we have seen, I'd take indifference over constant beatings.

It is also no wonder Banana Girl finds a motherkiller bitch to be better than Ash'waren considering they have motherkilling tendencies...

But the question is, why would half of Ash'waren family want her death? It's just... don't they see that she is basically the greatest asset the entire clan has? Her death won't make the Suls stronger again, it will weaken them. If it had happened way before when Quain was still alive, it might have likely broken the alliance between both clans. And nowadays it will just make the Suls into Sharen lapdogs.

The only reason I see is that defying the Sharen has cost the Suls a lot, specially with the district war and all that. I can get some of them want to keep living surrounded by luxurious rooms and slaves, and that they blame Ash'waren for the economic shortcomings of the clan. Still... I think this is more an example of Chronic Backstabbing Disorder, killing the one on top because she is the one on top.

I think what pisses the younger Suls is that Ash keeps the clan in stasis. The clan is probably full or armchair generals, wannabe politicians and frustrated reformists, each of which believes to have the PERFECT AND ONLY solution to return the Sullisin'rune to greatness, if only Ash would step aside an let them take charge...

Think about this: The Suls don't have to fight or rule, they just study, party, administer the dome and oversee the commonera running their businesses... they are a too powerful, too rich, too entitled people with too much free time and too little to do... Speaking about how to fix the clan probably is their favourite hobby...
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Irae Maeviir » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:21 am

Doom Chinchilla wrote:Think about this: The Suls don't have to fight or rule, they just study, party, administer the dome and oversee the commonera running their businesses... they are a too powerful, too rich, too entitled people with too much free time and too little to do... Speaking about how to fix the clan probably is their favourite hobby...

In a few words, they think they can do better than the one who has centuries if not millennia of experience running things. I guess it is true what they say about boredom and idle hands... "Nothing good comes from boredom. Idle hands are Snadya's workshop"
Irae Maeviir
Tainted

Location: Watching what's going on from her own pocket dimension

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Thus they are naturally drawn towards like-minded types who want to get rid of the status quo and upend the table of society so they can "reform" things...like say Snadhya'rune the motherkiller...the clan killer...clans killer :c

btw I almost thought Banana is a hypocrite, that she thought Ash was a detriment to the Sullisin'rune clan and had to go. No, she didn't mention the Sullisin'rune clan at all. What she said was "I would like to see you bleed, for being a motherkilling blight upon US ALL." She repeats this in the "trip down a staircase" dialog, "even more of a dead weight to US ALL than before." How cosmopolitan of Banana to think of ALL the Drow, under Snadhya's beneficent rule :P
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: in Snad's tower in Felde, checking to make sure I have spare underwear
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Jeez, drama bomb. Time and place girls, time and place.

Interesting that Bae doesn't seem that fond of Snad, just viewing her as the better option. Will probably be on anyone's side as long as she gets to kill Ash.

Why would any Sul try to kill Ash'waren? I mean, aside from the obvious "I will take over".

I have to admit the reason for the Sul trio's hate is not entirely clear. They were introduced as concept art of "Sul militarists" who wanted to reclaim the Sul's past as Proud Warrior Race Guys instead of being the decadent party people (so...basically fascists), though one would think the militarization of the clan in the last war would address those concerns.

And just in general one would think the more militaristic Sul would be more eager about fighting alongside their Sarghress allies against their shared Sharen enemy, meanwhile Snad's whole sneaky political manipulation doesn't really seem to play into the warrior past. Especially since part of the reason Ash made the alliance with the Sarghress was to curb her clan's decadence and apathy. Maybe it is snobbery? Or perhaps the militarists were just made as a faction before the Sarghress alliance and so Snad got her hands on them first.

I wonder if Ash gets any hate from the other direction - the Sul who loved living decadent, care free lives of wealth and privilege, and then lost all of that due to the district war. I mean, from what I can tell the Sul had to use much of their money and food to support the Sarghress war effort, and many Sul themselves went to fight or took up support jobs - and nothing pisses off entitled rich kids like making them work. Not to mention the whole wartime political situation ment a lot less sex.

Then there is the loss of identity. Per some of Kern's comments, the Sul have more or less been absorbed by the Sarghress at this point, little more than a branch house or Sarghress supply division. They didn't even get any representation at the council meeting Quain called. For a proud and ancient bloodline, that has to be a bitter pill to swallow.

So Ash succeeded at bring her Sharen enemies low, at the cost of the clan's power, wealth, prestige, and identity - quite the Pyrrhic victory, especially for those Sul born after the war and who don't have a particular grudge against the Sharen. Course, that is all recent, and I get the impression the trio and others had been with Snad a long time....
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Nowhere Girl » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Ash didn't die because the Suls are foolish or because all those youngsters think they know more than they really do. She died because she was stupid. To the very end, not even knowing how to talk to someone with a knife at her throat ... and you can say that it's because she was too proud and set in her ways and the like, but how does that defense in any way suggest she was any less stupid in her day-to-day handling of affairs for precisely the same reasons?

What a waste of nigh-immortality! Apparently, having more time doesn't make you any smarter ... at least not if you're drow. For all her centuries, she handled this situation about as intelligently and as wisely as an average juvenile thug full of machismo and a false sense of invincibility.

If you can't learn better than this after several centuries, then you are a dead weight.
Nowhere Girl
Summoner

Postby Thrair » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Nowhere Girl wrote:If you can't learn better than this after several centuries, then you are a dead weight.

... BAD PUN. BAD PUN.

All seriousness, even in RL bein' older doesn't make a person smarter. People who can will learn from their mistakes, but the ones too stubborn/arrogant to do so will continue blaming other people. All age gives you is more experience. Doesn't really affect how you use it, I've found.

Ash is a really powerful headcase, and it's really not a surprise there's a long list of people who were hoping she'd "fall down some stairs."
Thrair
Demon

Location: My Chair, Washington (Just south of My Computer, Washington)
Clan: Sharen

Postby evilmike » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:18 pm

Irae Maeviir wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but... Why would any Sul try to kill Ash'waren? I mean, aside from the obvious "I will take over".....

Because they want to take over.

Also.....how would you feel having to live with your parents......for your entire life.....and have them treat you as if you were still 8 or so. At best, maybe 16?

Living forever can suck in many, many ways.
evilmike
Summoner

Postby sunhawk » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:46 am

The knife is now blade side against ash'waren.

I have a feeling that the younger Suls wanted to let go of the past. Forget about the grudge from the earliest years of the moonless age. Viewing Ash'waren and her alliance with the Sarghress as a detriment to the clan's future.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Mizu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:36 am

I was kind of hoping her inevitable monologue would have more specifics on why they think Ashie is a millstone tied to the clan's collective neck. And I wonder if Chiri is going to actually care that the lady who ordered the airship to fire on her home is about to get her throat slit? I know I sure as hell wouldn't in her shoes.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Junglefowl26 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:52 am

Mizu wrote:I was kind of hoping her inevitable monologue would have more specifics on why they think Ashie is a millstone tied to the clan's collective neck. And I wonder if Chiri is going to actually care that the lady who ordered the airship to fire on her home is about to get her throat slit? I know I sure as hell wouldn't in her shoes.

...Oh yeah.

Chiri probably should be all: :D Yay! Stab the ****, stab her good!
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Nowhere Girl » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:21 pm

Thrair wrote:All seriousness, even in RL bein' older doesn't make a person smarter. People who can will learn from their mistakes, but the ones too stubborn/arrogant to do so will continue blaming other people.

No, it doesn't improve your actual aptitude, but you can learn, mature, and become wiser and more knowledgeable. There's a reason most of us look back on our behavior as children and shake our heads at how foolish we were.

Ash was acting like a child here ... a centuries-old child.
Nowhere Girl
Summoner

Next

Return to Moonless Age