Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 55

Chapter 54 : page 55

Postby Kern » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:08 am

The charge break through the city's defenses.
Surprised and with every canons either depleted or pointed the wrong way made for an easier way in.The weather helps too. They would want to get to the island where the ship crashed to avoid having both forces cut from each other, that is if they can do it. The ship fly but dawmeres can only run and that city is all islands and bridges!
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 55

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:01 am

No wonder the airship rushed in like that. Hogged all the attention for itself, and setting up its allies for the hammerblow.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Ardan Styyx » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:37 am

And after they topple down the meager party of Zuhur and co. outside the city, how Quil and the riders are expecting to climb over the defense walls? Earth affinity would be my guess.

Edit: Oups, I just realized they left the gate open! Bad job defense guys, closing the gate right after the party leaves is the kindergarden level of defensive measures!

And yeah, after this it's going to be a hell of a charge inside the city, while trying to escape the erratic fire of the Airship and the Boom sticks. I guess they should seize the defense on the wall first, or disable them. At least that would simplify the Airship escape, if it is still able to fly.

Well well Quil, I wish you all the luck, 'cause right now the odds don't look tremendously favorable.

Edit : Is there a detailed map of the city somewhere?
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Commander_Dulton » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Something's been bugging my craw this entire time that's come to a head now that I've seen her face and know for a fact it's her.

Why the hell are the HIGHLAND RAIDERS the ones chasing Ariel? Why is Aunty chasing down the remnants of Quan's family? This makes no sense to me. Out of everyone I'd think the Highland raiders and the people she trained with would be the ones to support Ariel for leadership of the clan, not be the ones hunting her down. o_O
Commander_Dulton
Tik'tikki

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Lewa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Commander_Dulton wrote:Something's been bugging my craw this entire time that's come to a head now that I've seen her face and know for a fact it's her.

Why the hell are the HIGHLAND RAIDERS the ones chasing Ariel? Why is Aunty chasing down the remnants of Quan's family? This makes no sense to me. Out of everyone I'd think the Highland raiders and the people she trained with would be the ones to support Ariel for leadership of the clan, not be the ones hunting her down. o_O

The Highland Raiders aren't chasing Ariel, they're reinforcements that Kel called in here.
Lewa
Tainted

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Thrair » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:28 pm

Yes. Quill is coming to help her honourary niece. And she was one of Quain's oldest friends. Her loyalty is unquestioned, she just avoids politics so much she spends most of her time on the surface and AWAY from Chel's drama.

Sang is the one in charge of the legion hunting Ariel. And her motivations are still unclear. She seemed loyal enough to Quain, and willing to tolerate the Sharen.... yet it's implied she had something to do with the coup and has privately revealed to Ariel that she has some very valid reasons (Four of them in particular) to utterly despise the Sharen.

Ardan Styyx wrote:Well well Quil, I wish you all the luck, 'cause right now the odds don't look tremendously favorable.

Edit : Is there a detailed map of the city somewhere?

...Eh.... kinda?
Thrair
Demon

Location: My Chair, Washington (Just south of My Computer, Washington)
Clan: Sharen

Postby riflow » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:48 am

Auntie Q is coming for you Ariel!

I joke but man it's so cool to see her again after so long. I used to really like Sang so the death of Quain and seeing the legions after Ariel has been sad for me but at least seeing Quill not siding with the baby murdering part of the sarghressmakes me happy.

She's got such a cool design too, hard not to be in awe.
riflow
Summoner

Postby Ra'tatosk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:58 am

Thrair wrote:
Ardan Styyx wrote:Edit : Is there a detailed map of the city somewhere?

...Eh.... kinda?

And then there is that overview in Relic Hunters chapter 16 - Operation Felde first page. That overview don't match the map so I think we are in unmapped territory. o_O
Ra'tatosk
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Whizzard » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:39 am

I'd like to point out that Quill'yate is most likely on Ariel side for various reasons:

Unlike Sang and Suube, Quill stayed away from clan politics and politics at large because she hated it and would be left uncorrupted from changing winds in the clan. She's one of the oldest friends of Quain'tana and shared many of her ideals. She did what Quain wanted to do: that is to roam the Overworld and explore it. Something that Quain wanted to eventually retire to. Quill wouldn't answer to the summons of Sang's, Rosof or Suube line and certainly wouldn't listen to their orders. She was loyal to Quain'tana and Quain'tana's line only. To her Chel and Sargh'ress for was not home, the Overworld was. She didn't get involved in Sarghress-Sharen war and now that Quain doesn't rule there anymore, she likely has no reason to return there anyhow.

The reason she comes to Ariel's and Kel's aid right now is likely because they are Quain's blood. She also was friendlier to Ariel than any other clan faction leader and Ariel really took to her. Ariel also shares many of Quill's ideals. If Ariel or Kel on Ariel's behalf asked for Quill's help, she would most certainly give it. If Sang, Rosof or Koil'dorath asked for it, she would likely ignore it.

Henceforth, I think Quill's goal here is not to go and kill/capture Ariel as quite a few here seem to think, but instead to help them take the tower by assaulting it from the bottom and securing it while the ship's crew takes it from top down. Sang's forces will not have the luxury of wide open gate and have to fight their way through to the tower while Felde forces will be sandwiched between in the grinder.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Ardan Styyx » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:06 am

Whizzard wrote:I'd like to point out that Quill'yate is most likely on Ariel side for various reasons:

Unlike Sang and Suube, Quill stayed away from clan politics and politics at large because she hated it and would be left uncorrupted from changing winds in the clan. She's one of the oldest friends of Quain'tana and shared many of her ideals. She did what Quain wanted to do: that is to roam the Overworld and explore it. Something that Quain wanted to eventually retire to. Quill wouldn't answer to the summons of Sang's, Rosof or Suube line and certainly wouldn't listen to their orders. She was loyal to Quain'tana and Quain'tana's line only. To her Chel and Sargh'ress for was not home, the Overworld was. She didn't get involved in Sarghress-Sharen war and now that Quain doesn't rule there anymore, she likely has no reason to return there anyhow.

The reason she comes to Ariel's and Kel's aid right now is likely because they are Quain's blood. She also was friendlier to Ariel than any other clan faction leader and Ariel really took to her. Ariel also shares many of Quill's ideals. If Ariel or Kel on Ariel's behalf asked for Quill's help, she would most certainly give it. If Sang, Rosof or Koil'dorath asked for it, she would likely ignore it.

Henceforth, I think Quill's goal here is not to go and kill/capture Ariel as quite a few here seem to think, but instead to help them take the tower by assaulting it from the bottom and securing it while the ship's crew takes it from top down. Sang's forces will not have the luxury of wide open gate and have to fight their way through to the tower while Felde forces will be sandwiched between in the grinder.

I think you are pretty much right on all this.
As for the last part, let's hope that's indeed what's going to happen... although that raises two questions :
- Why would Felde defenses necessarily oppose Sang, unless they believe she and her legion switched side again and are the second wave of the Sarg's attack (third actually, with the airship)?
- How all this merry party is hoping to escape, now that the airship seems unserviceable and once the raiders have stormed into the city, leaving the defenses behind untouched and with a Legion blocking the way out?

I actually only see one solution there : our heroes must at the same time topple down the power in Felde AND get rid of Sang and her followers if they expect any survival after the surprise is over. Using the enemies' strength (and mutual suspission) against themselves is bright, but expecting them to do exactly what you planned is extremly hazardous. All in all, this whole operation is a terribly bald and dangerous gamble, and it's going to be a hell of a fight. :O

I'd open a bier (I keep the champagne in the fridge for now) if I was not dreading a massive harvest of major characters death! *eek*
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby El Bandito » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Time for more Nids to die.
El Bandito
Summoner

Postby Moric » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:33 am

As much as Quill'yata may care for or be loyal to Ariel, her choices do not exist in a vacuum, nor would the repercussions fall solely upon her. Her own legion, her family, etc. are all at risk should she make a rash decision. So, for the last three years, I am convinced that she played along as if nothing has happened or changed. So I believe that she supplied the Chelian Sarghress, she steered clear of Machike, but I think that she may have at least kept tabs indirectly.

The current assault on Felde may be a means for her and her troops to fall in behind Ariel, but should things go badly, she has plausible deniability. If the Wolfpack succeeds in taking the Tower, then taking the city in the name of Clan Sarghress (and remaining as ambiguous about it as possible) is simply doing what raiders do best.

Now, I don't know all the political facts, the interconnected relationships, past power plays, etc. Kel'noz does, and he may know some dirty secrets too. Even so, he plays very close, and until things develop, we are left wondering. As a matter of fact, while Sang is sending an assault mission against the Wolfpack, we still are not clear about her motives. Is she a Nid agent? Is she acting for the sake of ambition? Is she just following orders? Perhaps she is afraid of Snadhya'rune because of the tortures that she endured? Each of these questions may affect her decisions if she comes in behind Quill'yata.
Moric
Summoner

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:00 am

Ardan Styyx wrote:I'd open a bier (I keep the champagne in the fridge for now) if I was not dreading a massive harvest of major characters death! *eek*
Eesh, I predict the demand for biers will explode if there's a "massive harvest of major characters' deaths" :A
the flipside of a milieu that doesn't have ready access to raising dead :U I bet undertakers don't play FRPGs... ;)
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: Riding da Mistwhale, ready to kick butt and chew bubble gum
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Moric » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:27 am

Ardan Styyx wrote:I'd open a bier (I keep the champagne in the fridge for now) if I was not dreading a massive harvest of major characters death! *eek*

Open the bier anyhow. If anything, it can be in solidarity with Al'tesh.

Speaking of whom, we need a "most useless guard" contest between him and Kuso.

As for me, I will have to make due with a few glasses of brandy tonight.
Moric
Summoner

Postby Thrair » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:06 pm

Moric wrote:

Open the bier anyhow. If anything, it can be in solidarity with Al'tesh.

Speaking of whom, we need a "most useless guard" contest between him and Kuso.

Hm. Tricky. I'm leaning towards Al'tesh, though. Kuso's not strictly speaking a guard, but more to the point I don't think his charges have ever snuffed it. *cough*Diva'ratrika*cough*
Thrair
Demon

Location: My Chair, Washington (Just south of My Computer, Washington)
Clan: Sharen

Return to Moonless Age