Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 52 : page 37

Re: Chapter 52 : page 37

Postby Irae Maeviir » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:47 am

Argh, for some reason this is less epic than I expected, but still, even for a grazing hit that passed between both sections it did quite a big hole.

Still waiting for the " :O BADA-BOOM BABY... BADA-BOOOOOOOOOM" moment
Irae Maeviir
Nether Spawn

Location: Watching what's going on from her own pocket dimension

Postby Junglefowl26 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:24 am

Not likely to happen, but I can't help but picture Shinae using her pressure sorcery to launch a cannon ball back....

Also Faen using her shield to deflect energy cannons back.

I guess I just like deflecting projectiles. :3
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Castamir » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:04 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:Not likely to happen, but I can't help but picture Shinae using her pressure sorcery to launch a cannon ball back....

Also Faen using her shield to deflect energy cannons back.

Better: have Faen deflect the cannon ball back at Shinae. Repeatedly. It'd be an epic ping-pong match.
Castamir
Nether Seed

Postby 'Lement » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:08 am

Mmmmm

ball

Would have worked better for me with build-up from previous page, but missed a day of dt.

I think the most interesting takeaway from this page for me (beyond the ..hit? itself) is that dark elves had those matte flat ceiling light dots. An unexpected architecture.

They're pretty dark, though.
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Marcellogo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:25 am

For what I see... poor Sal'bara!
Marcellogo
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Irae Maeviir » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 am

Marcellogo wrote:For what I see... poor Sal'bara!

If the one falling down is Sal'bara they have big problems in the ship, then again, her armor probably allows her to fly...

Still if the giant cannonball hit the room where they are in the third panel the ship is probably dead in its tracks... the engineer is gone, the wheel will likely be damaged thus they will be unable to control the ship direction.
Irae Maeviir
Nether Spawn

Location: Watching what's going on from her own pocket dimension

Postby Kardwill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:01 am

Perspective is weird on this one. They're at the back of the ship, they look behind them when they hear the gunshot, but the canonball hits the front flightdeck from the side? So, difficult to know who got hit here (dramatically, it looks like they got heit : They turn, alarmed, and then we see the shot blast peoples out of the ship. But they're not in the right place.)
Kardwill
Summoner

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:14 pm

See Nids? The Sarg can be "civilized" too. Execution via WMD is what your mistress Snad, the magnanimous, says is the right thing for "civilized" people to do. Bye, bye Sisi!

So the pipes put gas in that blimp? Hydrogen? Oooh! HINDENBURG TIME!
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby SFI » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Kardwill wrote:Perspective is weird on this one. They're at the back of the ship, they look behind them when they hear the gunshot, but the canonball hits the front flightdeck from the side? So, difficult to know who got hit here (dramatically, it looks like they got heit : They turn, alarmed, and then we see the shot blast peoples out of the ship. But they're not in the right place.)

From what I gathered from the page and Kern's post, the cannon was aimed at the backish end of the ship, aiming for a shot more or less longitudinal (is that the right word to use in this context) but both with the flash - coming from behind - and the warning from that one person, Sasi started turning the ship (you can see her do that in the panel) and while she didn't manage to turn it enough to escape, the ship got only hit broadside rather than across it's entire length.
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Margirita » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:09 pm

I said across the nose NOT UP IT!! who made that man a gunner???
Margirita
Summoner

Postby Kardwill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:10 pm

SFI wrote:
Kardwill wrote:Perspective is weird on this one. They're at the back of the ship, they look behind them when they hear the gunshot, but the canonball hits the front flightdeck from the side? So, difficult to know who got hit here (dramatically, it looks like they got heit : They turn, alarmed, and then we see the shot blast peoples out of the ship. But they're not in the right place.)

From what I gathered from the page and Kern's post, the cannon was aimed at the backish end of the ship, aiming for a shot more or less longitudinal (is that the right word to use in this context) but both with the flash - coming from behind - and the warning from that one person, Sasi started turning the ship (you can see her do that in the panel) and while she didn't manage to turn it enough to escape, the ship got only hit broadside rather than across it's entire length.

Sasi's turning the wheel in the right direction, but that's a lot of movement to happen in the flight-time of a short-range canonball (the time between the "rear flash" and the impact), though :/
Kardwill
Summoner

Postby Had'thea » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Margirita wrote:I said across the nose NOT UP IT!! who made that man a gunner???

"I did, Sir; he's my cousin!" *lol*

'Lement wrote:I think the most interesting takeaway from this page for me (beyond the ..hit? itself) is that dark elves had those matte flat ceiling light dots. An unexpected architecture.

They're pretty dark, though.

you mean the pot lighting? If those are actual individual lights/foci - it could be just a dark shielding medium with holes cut in it letting in light from a strip of some kind, which I am sure isn't all that new...
Had'thea
Tainted

Postby Moric » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:13 pm

First time poster, long time reader.

I think this battle has a very high chance of being Kel'noz's last. As this story focuses on Ariel's growth into becoming the pivotal player in this age, it makes sense that all her mentors and heroes must fall away. With Quain'tana dead, Kel is next to either die or become incapacitated. May I be wrong.

Also, why on earth would he use a round shot when firing a tsar cannon against an airship!? That's meant for smashing fortifications. Try grapeshot next time.
Moric
Nether Seed

Postby Black Knight LeFreux » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:29 pm

Moric wrote:First time poster, long time reader.

Also, why on earth would he use a round shot when firing a tsar cannon against an airship!? That's meant for smashing fortifications. Try grapeshot next time.

Welcome to the forums ! *boogie*

As for the use of a round shot rather than a grapeshot, there are two probabilities :
1) Cannons using blackpowder rather than mana is new in the Drows arsenal, so it's certain they don't master them as much as, say, the Dwarves, and didn't discover all the tactics that can be used with them.
2) They didn't have any other ammunition for it other than round shots. After all, until recently, it was owed by the Hermionnes, and they were using it to pound the colony's defenses, not to shoot an airship... or a large army.
Black Knight LeFreux
Vel'akar

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:06 am

Welcome Moric! B) And if they had the Blunt Cannon in their possession a bit longer, they could have used chain shot (since the Herms also conveniently left that length of anchor chain). Imagine the damage that could have done. If they were firing longitudinally like B said, a chain shot could have swept not only the fo'c'sle but the poop deck as well, taking out Sasi and the wheel, as well as several columns possibly being ruptured (if the chain got hung up on a column that supplies gas and couldn't sever it, the two shot might tether-ball around it and smash the crap out of it and anything nearby)

btw in one of the Belisarius series by David Drake and Eric Flint, an alien intelligence had given Belisarius the knowledge of gunpowder cannon about 600 years early, as well as high-sided seaworthy ships like a caravel or galleon, I don't remember. Anyway, his enemies were still equipped with low-freeboard galleys that attack by ramming. So an enemy galley foolishly aims at his ship's flank, a galley's traditional weak spot. But on Belisarius' ship, that's where the cannon are. One cannon fired a single round of grapeshot "down the throat", and reamed out the galley, killing or incapacitating every man aboard o_O
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: Bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the (Mist) Sea

PreviousNext

Return to Moonless Age