Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 52 : page 3

Re: Chapter 52 : page 3

Postby gd1 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:20 pm

It's the last samurai all over again. The howitzers didn't work there either. They need to bring out the gattling guns.
gd1
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Moatl » Thu May 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Did Reka and Key'sal fight over the last blue hair dye? *omfg*

:P
Moatl
Vel'akar

Postby alkaizer87 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:04 pm

gd1 wrote:It's the last samurai all over again. The howitzers didn't work there either. They need to bring out the gattling guns.

Um.....no...just no....While yes it may seem to be similar at first, it's not <<; I mean none of them are on horseback....at least not from I can see. Also the charging army are the baddies, where as the defenders are the goodies.
alkaizer87
Vel'akar

Location: At home with 3 of Vaelia's kids: 1 girl and 2 boys.
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Gunbird » Thu May 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Is that a moss-man ? No it a sn- TWACK!! *Bolt hit head*

Yep that what Shynt would mostly look like, Evan though tough he suppose to raider gear. But it's ok.

One thing tha makes me scratch my head is that he waring the suit in a sort of urban environment.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby gd1 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:52 pm

alkaizer87 wrote:
gd1 wrote:It's the last samurai all over again. The howitzers didn't work there either. They need to bring out the gattling guns.

Um.....no...just no....While yes it may seem to be similar at first, it's not <<; I mean none of them are on horseback....at least not from I can see. Also the charging army are the baddies, where as the defenders are the goodies.

I meant that if the enemy has an advantage you need to mitigate that advantage. They have a numbers advantage and the gattling gun helps against that. Fire affinity would work too. Caltrops might help slow the enemy down. As would some ice. Although they do have ranged weapons, so probably the gattling gun. Have some earth affinity users tunnel under the war machines and collapse them.
gd1
Demon

Postby Marcellogo » Thu May 18, 2017 6:09 pm

Doom Chinchilla wrote:
Amberlight wrote:Cannonballs that actually BOUNCE! Yes!
I was worried that movie physics of balls of steel exploding into smoke on impact would get here but I am pleasantly surprised. Just don't forget that the cannonballs leave a trail of death for dozens of meters after the first bounce. Artillery is not something to mess with.

If the balls were made of stone they would shatter and become shrapnel rather than bounce. During the XVI century they sometimes made cannonballs taking a bag of stones and enveloping it with many layers of wire, so they would shatter even more easily and spread the shrapnel further.

Also the bounce doesn't worked in that way: balls have to be fired straight between 0 and 1 degree so to remain at man's height also after the first bounce, chopping bodies of tighly packed musketmens in the process (I know it's scary, but it worked that way).
Marcellogo
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Junglefowl26 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:44 pm

Divide and conquer. A good strategy - particularly since one needs at least a three to one advantage in numbers to take a fortified position anyway.

The Hermoines will need to step up their game. Though speaking of that, I only see infantry - where are their cavalry? Though maybe they have dismounted since this is a siege and horses can't climb.

Niiiice! Good to see a full-on battle scene again, though it must be a HUGE timesink to draw/colour

So true on both counts.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Thu May 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:Divide and conquer. A good strategy - particularly since one needs at least a three to one advantage in numbers to take a fortified position anyway.

The Hermoines will need to step up their game. Though speaking of that, I only see infantry - where are their cavalry? Though maybe they have dismounted since this is a siege and horses can't climb.

Niiiice! Good to see a full-on battle scene again, though it must be a HUGE timesink to draw/colour

So true on both counts.

I have read somewhere that during Middle Ages a proportion of 12 to 1 or even more was considered appropiate when trying to climb a wall with ladders.
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby gd1 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Marcellogo wrote:
Doom Chinchilla wrote:
Amberlight wrote:Cannonballs that actually BOUNCE! Yes!
I was worried that movie physics of balls of steel exploding into smoke on impact would get here but I am pleasantly surprised. Just don't forget that the cannonballs leave a trail of death for dozens of meters after the first bounce. Artillery is not something to mess with.

If the balls were made of stone they would shatter and become shrapnel rather than bounce. During the XVI century they sometimes made cannonballs taking a bag of stones and enveloping it with many layers of wire, so they would shatter even more easily and spread the shrapnel further.

Also the bounce doesn't worked in that way: balls have to be fired straight between 0 and 1 degree so to remain at man's height also after the first bounce, chopping bodies of tighly packed musketmens in the process (I know it's scary, but it worked that way).

Canisters were used in the civil war and might be better at this.
gd1
Demon

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Fri May 19, 2017 1:52 am

Gunbird wrote:Is that a moss-man ? No it a sn- TWACK!! *Bolt hit head*

Yep that what Shynt would mostly look like, Evan though tough he suppose to raider gear. But it's ok.

One thing tha makes me scratch my head is that he waring the suit in a sort of urban environment.
Ah-ha, there he is! :) Yeah, ghillie suit might not work atop a castle wall (not only stands out against the stone, but skylined as well), but it's good to see him in action B)
gd1 wrote:
Marcellogo wrote:
Doom Chinchilla wrote:If the balls were made of stone they would shatter and become shrapnel rather than bounce. During the XVI century they sometimes made cannonballs taking a bag of stones and enveloping it with many layers of wire, so they would shatter even more easily and spread the shrapnel further.
Canisters were used in the civil war and might be better at this.
Canister, or grapeshot, was in use as early as the 15th century, but became common anti-personnel weapons around the 18th-19th centuries onwards (as Napoleon is famous for). Also by the 16th century, stone fougasse were also used. With Drow using Fire affinity to light them from a distance, you could forego hand-lighting the fuses. If they have Dvergar powder grenades, shell fougasse could also be used, but flame fougasse didn't seem to be developed before World War II
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: Bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the (Mist) Sea
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Hfar » Fri May 19, 2017 5:49 am

It's always nice when you have superior firepower and a strong defensive position when facing a larger but less technologically advanced army. Fingers crossed that no-one on the drow side does anything colossally stupid and pulls an Isandlwana.
Hfar
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby HoneyBee » Fri May 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Hfar wrote:It's always nice when you have superior firepower and a strong defensive position when facing a larger but less technologically advanced army. Fingers crossed that no-one on the drow side does anything colossally stupid and pulls an Isandlwana.

Drows not doing anything stupid is factually inconceivable.
HoneyBee
Vel'akar

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Previous

Return to Moonless Age